Failover Cluster & Shared Disk

• Hi All,

Trying to install a 2 node Active/Passive SQL Server cluster but it is failing due to the fact that it can't find an available shared disk. I can't add one in the cluster storage manager as it says no suitable disk were found. Each node has two disks configured as RAID 1. The RAID array on each has two partitions, a boot partition and the data partition that is setup for Replication in DFS management with the identical partition on the other node.

Its my understanding that the boot partition can't be used as clustered storage and that the replicated partition can't either. I guess that a replicated volume under DFS Management is not considered by SQL Server to be valid media for a cluster installation, is that correct?

I thought that would be a good configuration since both systems are configured as RAID 1 and the data on that volume is replicated and therefore protected against a single node failure but I guess that won't work.

Will I have to go out and get an iSCSI solution or can I reconfigure this to make this work with the hardware I've already invested in?

Incidentally, I can't cluster DTC for the same reason, no storage available which generates a warning in the SQL Server install as well.

Thanks again!

Larry

• larrykl (10/29/2011)

Hi All,

Trying to install a 2 node Active/Passive SQL Server cluster but it is failing due to the fact that it can't find an available shared disk. I can't add one in the cluster storage manager as it says no suitable disk were found. Each node has two disks configured as RAID 1. The RAID array on each has two partitions, a boot partition and the data partition that is setup for Replication in DFS management with the identical partition on the other node.

Its my understanding that the boot partition can't be used as clustered storage and that the replicated partition can't either. I guess that a replicated volume under DFS Management is not considered by SQL Server to be valid media for a cluster installation, is that correct?

I thought that would be a good configuration since both systems are configured as RAID 1 and the data on that volume is replicated and therefore protected against a single node failure but I guess that won't work.

Will I have to go out and get an iSCSI solution or can I reconfigure this to make this work with the hardware I've already invested in?

Incidentally, I can't cluster DTC for the same reason, no storage available which generates a warning in the SQL Server install as well.

Thanks again!

Larry

see my response to your later post!

with all the hardware and software you already purchased you may have been able to implement a complete system if only you planned a little more 😉

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply