Failover Cluster - Add node

• Hi Guys

I have SQL 2008 enterprise Sp2 installed on Windows 2008 enterprise.

This is a single node cluster

What is the process of adding a second node to this cluster?

Where do I run the "add node" setup from?

Thanks

• How to: Add or Remove Nodes in a SQL Server Failover Cluster (Setup)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms191545.aspx

• derekr 43208 (10/10/2011)

Hi Guys

Has the second node been introduced into the existing Windows cluster?

If not you need to do this first, also ensure any storage that the clustered instance uses has been presented to the second cluster node.

derekr 43208 (10/10/2011)

Thanks

Run the add node option from the new\second node.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Perry Whittle (10/10/2011)

Hi Guys

Has the second node been introduced into the existing Windows cluster?

If not you need to do this first, also ensure any storage that the clustered instance uses has been presented to the second cluster node.

Thanks

Run the add node option from the new\second node.

Thanks Perry

Please explain something: When you add a new node to an existing cluster, does SQL need to be installed first or does running the "add node" install SQL Server.

Thanks

• derekr 43208 (10/11/2011)

does running the "add node" install SQL Server.

Thanks

That's exactly what it does. As i mentioned previously, ensure the node is added to the Windows cluster first and any required storage is presented to the new node

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Perry Whittle (10/11/2011)

derekr 43208 (10/11/2011)

Thanks

That's exactly what it does. As i mentioned previously, ensure the node is added to the Windows cluster first and any required storage is presented to the new node

Thanks Perry

How would I go about making sure the node has been added/adding the new node into the Windows cluster?

Thanks

• Perry Whittle (10/11/2011)

derekr 43208 (10/11/2011)

Thanks

Perry

I'm quoting from your SSC article "Creating a 2 Node SQL Server 2008" - In the beginning of Part 3 you mention: "the Windows 2008 cluster may now be verified\created, but first we need to enable the required Roles and Features in Windows 2008 Roles and Features Manager"

Do I need to do this on the node I am planning to add onto the Windows cluster and then run the "Add Node" wizard from Cluster Manager?

• derekr 43208 (10/12/2011)

Perry

I'm quoting from your SSC article "Creating a 2 Node SQL Server 2008" - In the beginning of Part 3 you mention: "the Windows 2008 cluster may now be verified\created, but first we need to enable the required Roles and Features in Windows 2008 Roles and Features Manager"

Do I need to do this on the node I am planning to add onto the Windows cluster and then run the "Add Node" wizard from Cluster Manager?

Exactly Derek, any new node must have the required roles and features enabled before introducing it into the Windows cluster. All required storage must also be presented.

After this is complete you may add the node to the clustered sql server instance.

• Perry Whittle (10/12/2011)

derekr 43208 (10/12/2011)

Perry

Exactly Derek, any new node must have the required roles and features enabled before introducing it into the Windows cluster. All required storage must also be presented.

After this is complete you may add the node to the clustered sql server instance.

Thanks Perry.

So these are the steps I will follow

Since clustering is already configured on Node A:

1. On node A: Run a validation with the existing and possible new node

2. On Node B: Add the required roles and features to enable for failover clustering

3. On Node A: Run the Add node Wizard from cluster manager and select the new server.

4. On Node B: Run the Add Node to existing cluster from SQL installation - - - - On this point, should the Cluster on Node A be available for selection and at which point do I specify which Cluster I want to join Node B to.

Regarding Service packs, Assuming that Node A is Running SQL Server 2008 SP2, after I run the Add Node feature from the SQL installation, Do I need to upgrade the new node(Node B) to SP2 as well or will it reflect the same version as Node A.

Thanks for all you

• To be honest i would just go for this

1. On Node B: Add the required roles and features to enable for failover clustering

2. On Node A: Run the Add node Wizard from cluster manager and select the new server.

3. On Node B: Run the Add Node to existing cluster from SQL installation

When you launch the add node you will at some point be prompted to select the instance to join.

after I run the Add Node feature from the SQL installation, Do I need to upgrade the new node(Node B) to SP2 as well

Yes, unless you slipstream the service pack during the install 😉

To be honest i would just go for this

1. On Node B: Add the required roles and features to enable for failover clustering

2. On Node A: Run the Add node Wizard from cluster manager and select the new server.

3. On Node B: Run the Add Node to existing cluster from SQL installation

When you launch the add node you will at some point be prompted to select the instance to join.

after I run the Add Node feature from the SQL installation, Do I need to upgrade the new node(Node B) to SP2 as well

Yes, unless you slipstream the service pack during the install 😉

Thanks for eveything Perry

One more thing - Storage, you advised that the storage need to be presented to the new node.

When does this need to be done and where does this get done from?

Thanks

Derek

• what is providing your shared storage for your cluster, do you have a SAN or some other NAS?

Do you have a storage administrator, someone who looks after said SAN or NAS?

Storage needs to be attached after the OS has been deployed and configured.

what is providing your shared storage for your cluster, do you have a SAN or some other NAS?

Do you have a storage administrator, someone who looks after said SAN or NAS?

Storage needs to be attached after the OS has been deployed and configured.

Thanks Perry for all your help.

Derek

• Hi Perry

From what I understand - The storage needs to be presented to the new node prior to doing anything else?

Am I correct in this?

Thanks

Derek

• Correct, attach after the OS is built and before attempting to install SQL server.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply