extract data from all servers and dump it into a table

• I have 5 servers in the servers table . The code is not looping through all servers. Its only going to the ABC server 5 times and capturing data from ABC server 5 times.

$Servers = Invoke-Sqlcmd -Query "SELECT ServerName FROM dbo.Servers" -ServerInstance "ABC" -Database "DB"

foreach ($Server in $Servers)
    {

$ServerName = $Server.ServerName
    If (Test-Connection -ComputerName $ServerName -Count 1 -ErrorAction silentlycontinue)
    {
    Invoke-Sqlcmd -Query "INSERT INTO [DB].[dbo].[SQLBackups] ([ServerName]
    ,[DatabaseName]
    ,[RecoveryModel]
    ,[LastBackupDate]
    ,[BackupType]) SELECT @@servername as ServerName, bk.database_name AS Name,
    bk.recovery_model AS RecoveryModel,
    bk.backup_finish_date AS LastBackupDate,
    case when bk.Type = 'D' then 'Full Backup' end as Type
    --bk.backup_size AS LastBackupSize
    FROM msdb.dbo.backupset AS bk
    INNER JOIN (
    SELECT database_name,
    MAX(backup_finish_date) AS LastBackupDate,
    Type
    FROM msdb.dbo.backupset
    GROUP BY database_name,Type
    ) AS bkmax
    ON bk.database_name = bkmax.database_name and
    bk.backup_finish_date = bkmax.LastBackupDate and
    bk.type = bkmax.type
    and bk.Type = 'D'
    and bk.backup_finish_date < getdate()- 1;" -ServerInstance "ABC" -Database "DB"
    }
    else
    {
    Invoke-Sqlcmd -Query "INSERT INTO dbo.FailedConnections (ServerID, TestTime, Success,ServerVersion,InstanceName) VALUES ($ServerID,SYSDATETIME(),0,@@version,@@servername);" -ServerInstance "ABC" -Database "DB"
    }
    }

Thanks

• This topic was modified 1 month ago by  mtz676.
  • Possibly because of this row:

and bk.backup_finish_date < getdate()- 1;" -ServerInstance "ABC" -Database "db"

Try changing it to

and bk.backup_finish_date < getdate()- 1;" -ServerInstance $ServerName -Database "db"

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence
    - Martin Rees
    The absence of consumable DDL, sample data and desired results is, however, evidence of the absence of my response
    - Phil Parkin

• I tried that...

now I receive this error....

Invoke-Sqlcmd : Cannot open database "DB" requested by the login. The login failed.

Login failed for user 'Domain\User'.

• mtz676 wrote:

I tried that...

now I receive this error....

Invoke-Sqlcmd : Cannot open database "DB" requested by the login. The login failed. Login failed for user 'Domain\User'.

Seems like a reasonable error message ... not sure how it can be made any clearer.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence
    - Martin Rees
    The absence of consumable DDL, sample data and desired results is, however, evidence of the absence of my response
    - Phil Parkin

• there is no DB database on all the 5 servers...the database is only on ABC server....

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  mtz676.
  • So you want to loop around 5 servers, pull the backup information, then store that data in ABC server in database DB?

• yes

• Then you will need to change your approach.

You'll need to store the output of the select into an object, then open another connection back to ABC - DB and do the insert.

Or use linked servers and use 4 part naming and change the INSERT INTO DB to be INSERT INTO ABC.DB.dbo.whatevertable

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply