Exporting Data for reporting purposes (Help Required).

• Hi all, I hope this is the correct section for this sort of question.

Here is the current state.

We have a live server, which also is used for reporting, each time a report is run it locks, and eventually blocks multiple users, so that is a no, no.

Because the reports are run against a few tables only I was wondering if it was possible to export data to another (reporting) DB without locking or blocking current users, I have tried to do this with a basic DTS but again the tables are locked and cause blocking, and because I am no expert I have come here for help.

I hope the above makes sense.

Cheers

• HI There,

Are you reports run at the sametime everyday?

Do you need realtime data?

Thanks

Chris

----------------------------------------------
    Try to learn something about everything and everything about something. - Thomas Henry Huxley

:w00t:
    Posting Best Practices[/url]
    Numbers / Tally Tables[/url]

SQL-4-Life
  • Hi, some reports are run at specific times, and some can be run on the fly so if that helps.

Realtime is one of the requirments.

We have tried log shipping, but that leaves the report users with limited options.

I just thought that there would be an easy enough option to grab the data, export it to another db and that would be it, without causing problems to our existing users.

Cheers

• Try writing the SQL statement with NO LOCK.  You take the chance of reading dirty data, but normally for reports that's an acceptable risk.

• Cheers, I'll give that a go.

• With apologies, I should have also suggested READ UNCOMMITTED as a possible solution.  It doesn't prevent a dirty read, but as I already said, for reports, that's usually not an issue.  It never was for us.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply