Executing SSIS Packages on SSIS Server

• I should have said "initiate" rather than "execute" but I can't edit the title.

This is long standing DTS issue. How do you intiate execution of a SSIS Package on the SQL Server (assuming that this is where the SSIS Server is) from a remote computer?

One option could be to use xp_CmdShell() and call it from the remote computer but I believe that you can only have one pair of double quotes in xp_CmdShell(). Given that lots of things need to be enclosed in double quotes in a typical DTExec call, this is going to be a problem.

The solution for DTS was to install and register the redistributable DTS files on the remote computer but I am not sure how this is handled in SSIS. The DTS solution meant that the Package actually executed on the remote computer which was OK most of the time but there were times when you would have preferred it to execute on the Server.

Any other ideas or workarounds?

Thanks,

Dick Campbell

• Set up an agent job to run the package and then execute that job using sp_start_job ms-help://MS.SQLCC.v9/MS.SQLSVR.v9.en/tsqlref9/html/8a91df6a-eb84-4512-9a17-4a6e32a9538a.htm

More info here: http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=257798&SiteID=1

-Jamie

• Thanks Jamie,

I will check this out next week (it is well amd truely Fiday night here in  Oz).

Dick Campbell

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply