Execute a stored procedure from Access

• I have an Access Project (2003) connected to SQL 2000. Part of the database entails an insert procedure being carried out after a file is audited. The problem I am having is that the sp will run fine some times and then for unkown reason it does not. What I am looking for is a way to capture the failure of the procedure (when it happens) and then alert the user about that failure.

here is the procedure:

INSERT INTO dbo.tblInvoice

(FolderID, NoOfPax, Branch, CompanyCode, Customer, IssueDate, ReferenceNo, CCNumber, ExpiryDate, FolderOwner, TermsRefListID, AppliedAmount,

Currency, InvoiceType, TourismFileNo, Memo, InvoiceClass)

SELECT     FolderID, NoOfPax, Branch, CompanyCode, RTRIM(ISNULL(ReqByTitle, '')) + SPACE(1) + RTRIM(ISNULL(ReqByFirstName, '')) + SPACE(1)

+ RTRIM(ISNULL(ReqByLastName, '')) AS Customerreffullname, IssueDate, PONO AS PONO, CCNumber AS CCNumber, ExpiryDate AS ExpiryDate,

FolderOwner, IssueType, TourismValue, N'L.E' AS Currency, ServiceType AS InvoiceType, TourismFileNo, AirlineMemo, N'1' AS InvoiceClass

FROM         dbo.tblTravelFolder

WHERE     (FolderID = @FolderID)

this is the calling method:

Dim adocmd As ADODB.Command

Dim adoparam As Integer

Set adocmd = New ADODB.Command

With adocmd

.ActiveConnection = CurrentProject.Connection

.CommandText = "udpTicketInvoice"

.Parameters.Append .CreateParameter("@TicketTxnID", adInteger, adParamInput, , TicketTxnID)

.CommandType = adCmdStoredProc

.Execute

End With

Set adocmd = Nothing

this code is attached to the after update event of IsAudited check box on the form

• Are you telling us that the proc fails, or does not insert data without throwing an error??

You can check if the rowcount (@@rowcount) is greater than 0 in the proc.  Then log the error in a table with the fileid for further analysis. 

• Yes that is what is happening. I will try the @@rowcount and let you know

• I think you have the wrong syntax for ISNULL. That function requires two parameters.

• Note the '' after the first argument in the ISNULL.

• Your insert statement contains a parameter named @FolderID, but the VBA code executing the stored proc does not pass a parameter of that name, where does it come from ?

Have you tried error trapping in your VBA code, errors from SQL Server are returned from ado commmands executing stored procs

• The folderid is one of the inserted fields, I use it to open the invoice form after the update takes place. I do not get any errors from VB code. It is just that nothing happens. Can you help with an example of how to use the @@rowcount to return the message to the user?

• create procedure...

insert into ...

Select...

IF @@RowCount = 0

BEGIN

RAISERROR ('No rows were inserted (SpName)', 13, 1)

RETURN 1 --custom error message for that proc

END

• thanks a lot

• I forgot to mention this.  It's safer to create a variable a save the value of @@rowcount.

That's because @@rowcount is evaluated after any t-sql statement... as demonstrated here :

Declare @RowCount as int

Select * from dbo.SysObjects

SET @Rowcount = @@ROWCOUNT

Select @RowCount, @@ROWCOUNT

--1205, 1

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply