Excel Source in SSIS

• Within SSIS I want to examine the data in the columns of an Excel file to determine if I have alpha characters in a numeric field, or 50 characters in a field that should only have 15 characters, etc. This is just data validation before any of it gets loaded into a SQL Server database.

Is there a way to determine if the SSIS determined data type is not DT_WSTR then throw an error. Or if the SSIS determined data type is not DT_R8 then throw an error.

I've played with this for several hours and don't see a way to accomplish this. If you have any suggestions I would appreciate it.

• Microsoft has fantastic documentation on the particular, please check http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa964137(SQL.90).aspx

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • Thanks for the tip on that white paper. I had browsed MSDN looking for help but didn't come across that document. After a quick look through the profiling section, I've got some ideas to try out. Thanks again.

• JustANumber (4/14/2010)

Thanks for the tip on that white paper. I had browsed MSDN looking for help but didn't come across that document. After a quick look through the profiling section, I've got some ideas to try out. Thanks again.

Glad to help 🙂

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply