Exact copy of a website in the same Server/Database falls into timeout

• Hi to all, this is maybe my first time that I have post a question, and it is just because I ran out of ideas... so maybe someone can have a solution.

First the environment:

Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 10.0.1600.22 ((SQL_PreRelease).080709-1414 )

Microsoft SQL Server Express 2008

Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 2000.086.3959.00 (srv03_sp2_rtm.070216-1710)

Microsoft MSXML 2.6 3.0 4.0 6.0

Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.0.5730.13

Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0.50727.3615

IIS 6.0

Computer:

Intel Xeon CPU 2.8 GHz, 2.79 GHz, 3.5 GB RAM.

before the error

I have a website running on this server let us name: the SiteOne which is physically stored in inetpub, and it works fine. within this site I have a .Net Web Page with nine graphs, it pulls the data from 7 SQL Express queries with the production of the day. Showing the graphs takes to the site 2 seconds the most. However, I was in the need to copy the website with a new name (say SiteTwo) to a new Virtual directory, so I have created in the same IIS of the same server a new virtual folder located within the same inetpub folder, we could say that both websites are neighbors.

Problem.

Everything works fine in the new copied website, and with a normal time of response.... except for the aforementioned web page with the graphs, as the beginning of the day the graphs runs ok, but as there is more data for that day the graphs comes with an awful error that says:

Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.

A FUNNY THING!...

If I point to the old web site (which remember is pointing to the same database and is running in the same IIS), then the graph runs as fast as always.

http://localhost/SiteOne /Graphs.aspx ... this work

http://localhost/SiteTwo /Graphs.aspx ... this does not work!

Why it does not work?, if they are the same DLL files, they are pointing to the same DB and are running on the same server and IIS...

What I have tried.

•I have reviewed the permissions of both websites... they are identical.

•I have checked the permisions on both physical folders.... they are the same.

•I have recompiled the appplications and copy the DLL's to both sites, the SiteOne works the SiteTwo runs a timeout!

•I have increase the timeout in SQL Express.... (I know it has no sense while bot sites are using the same DB)..of course it does not work.

Thanks in advance......

Any help that points me to a solution would be greatly appreciated

• How are you connecting to SQL Server from your website? I think when copying a to a new virtual directory, the anonymous user password is cleared (as a security precaution). If you are connecting this way, re-type the password and you should be all set.

• Thanks AaronTC05 for your reply. I am using a connection string stored in my webconfig file. This is for sure a safety issue (not really a timeout issue), but I do not know where else to search. I have also make sure that the property settings for each site are equal.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply