Estimating Priorities

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Estimating Priorities

• I'll let somebody else make a joke about the "shiny bits". 😀

Being so busy that you don't know what to do first is a personal choice.

• Completely agree with not undertaking as many home projects as one would like - the mere thought of the time and effort (& cost) involved is a big deterrent. However, we *do* have one big constraint in the software world - BUDGET!!!!!

Nothing quite like the B word to make sure that creeping scopes ("shiny bits of technology"???) are kept at bay - on the principle of "you get what you pay for"..there's only so much that can be done within the confines of a set budget and time. You are therefore, forced to prioritize. 😉

**ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI !!!**

• I try to follow a policy of finishing something if I start it. If I don't want to finish it, I work on something I do want to finish. It works for me and I get a lot done that way.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Excellent editorial Steve!

I too find it fascinating and inspiring what people can accomplish when they put their minds to a task! It never ceases to amaze me what I can get done if I stop, think, and plan some before jumping in.

I know the paralysis of which you speak. I don't think everyone can relate to it, not even everyone in our field. It's akin to dizziness - you've been spinning and spinning for so long that when you stop, you still feel light-headed. And it seems such a shame to shut down and veg out in front of the tv for half a Saturday.

For this reason, it's good to have side projects and hobbies. They keep things fresh and are refreshing.

:{> Andy

Andy Leonard, Chief Data Engineer, Enterprise Data & Analytics

• Thanks and one minor note. Someone pinged me about me using freedom, as in liberty, when saying that it can be a problem. My use was intended to be freedom as in choice, not rights.

Budget comes into play in both places, which is why I didn't mention it. Making changes in software or in the real world costs money (or time). However the real world can result in wasted materials.

• skjoldtc (7/23/2009)

I'll let somebody else make a joke about the "shiny bits". 😀

I didn't get a good quote here about shiny bits. I kind of forced it. I'd welcome suggestions about how to better word that, serious or funny.

• if you do not set the boundaries of the effort, either with software, home maintenance, etc) how will you ever know when you are finished, without the need for rework.

• In many ways having too much freedom causes us problems.

Sure, bit I'll take that every day, and every second of the day, over the alternatives. If freedom is a "drug" then I'm not only an addict but a pusher as well.

ATBCharles Kincaid

• Steve Jones - Editor (7/23/2009)

skjoldtc (7/23/2009)

I'll let somebody else make a joke about the "shiny bits". 😀

I didn't get a good quote here about shiny bits. I kind of forced it. I'd welcome suggestions about how to better word that, serious or funny.

I couldn't think of one, either. It seemed like it was kind of humorous to me when I read it. Maybe it reminded me of Austin Powers when he was talking about "naughty bits". I tend to have an odd sense of humor.

Shiny bits, in a tech sense, could relate to what I call spit and polish. I tend to create rather boring UIs taking the default MS colors and such. I'm not really creative in the UI sense. I know people who are and they create icons, controls, and other "bits" that add a bit of dazzle that I can add to an application. All my apps are internal and the boring defaults are usually good enough and gets the app done in time and within budget.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply