Error during insert

• I am trying to insert a row of data in a sql server 2000 table and getting the following error:  I searched on knowledgebase and did not find any information about what this error is, why it is happening and how to fix it. 

"Cannot create a row of size 8089 which is greater than the allowable maximum of 8060".

Will greatly appreciate any help.

Thank you

• Do you have several varchar columns ?! What is the length of the varchar columns - the sum of all the columns should not exceed 8060!! Better yet - could you post the ddl of your table ?!

**ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI !!!**

• Forgot to tell you that if you go to BOL (books online) & look up "pages and extents" you should find a fairly comprehensive explanation...here's an extract...

The fundamental unit of data storage in Microsoft® SQL Server™ is the page. In SQL Server 2000, the page size is 8 KB. This means SQL Server 2000 databases have 128 pages per megabyte.

The start of each page is a 96-byte header used to store system information, such as the type of page, the amount of free space on the page, and the object ID of the object owning the page.

Data pages contain all the data in data rows except text, ntext, and image data, which is stored in separate pages. Data rows are placed serially on the page starting immediately after the header. A row offset table starts at the end of the page. The row offset table contains one entry for each row on the page and each entry records how far the first byte of the row is from the start of the page. The entries in the row offset table are in reverse sequence from the sequence of the rows on the page.

Rows cannot span pages in SQL Server. In SQL Server 2000, the maximum amount of data contained in a single row is 8060 bytes, not including text, ntext, and image data.

• Thank you so much for your help.  Your reply solved the problem I found one of the fields was 6030 in size plus other fields.

Greatly appreciate your help.

• Glad to have helped!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply