ERROR 14274 in SQL Server 2005

• So this error supposedly has to do with the server name. I see lots of info saying I should just update sysjobs server_name. But that's only good for 2000. That column does not exist in 2005. Instead we now have originating_server_id.

I've searched MSDN, here and Googled and the only info I can find is for 2000. There is an entry for this error code for SQL Server 2008 on MSDN but the only thing that's there is a listing of the error.

The message:

Msg 14274, Level 16, State 1, Procedure sp_add_job, Line 108

Cannot add, update, or delete a job (or its steps or schedules) that originated from an MSX server.

We're on version 9.0.4035 (SP 3)

• Does this return any row on your server:

select * from msdb.dbo.sysjobs where originating_server_id <> 0

• Nope. Already tried that. Only one server_id in sysjobs, sysjobservers and sysjobstep. Only one server listed in sys,servers. @@servername returns the right server name.

It looks like there are multiple installs/instances on this server (it's not a server I use/administer normally so don't know its full story yet).

• Very strange. You get this error when trying to delete a job I assume? If you run a profiler trace on msdb while doing the delete (or add, or update) you will see which stored procedure raises the error and you will probably find a hint there what's causing the problem.

I remember going through this before...

Let me know what you find.

• It be a bug ...

Look at http://sqllearnings.blogspot.com/search/label/Maintenance%20Plans

Someone else encountered similar issues after renaming 2005 server; so they had to do those steps and start over.

Thanks.

[font="Arial"]---

Mohit K. Gupta, MCITP: Database Administrator (2005), My Blog, Twitter: @SQLCAN[/url].
    Microsoft FTE - SQL Server PFE

* Some time its the search that counts, not the finding...
    * I didn't think so, but if I was wrong, I was wrong. I'd rather do something, and make a mistake than be frightened and be doing nothing. :smooooth:[/font]

How to ask for help .. Read Best Practices here[/url].

• This isn't a maintenance plan, so that doesn't apply. Also, the script is already deleting (via T-SQL) and re-creating the job.

Interestingly enough, I connected to the server via my local SSMS using a sysadmin login, ran the job drop / recreate script and it apepars to have worked fine. I'm still investigating things to figure out exactly what happened.

• Did you ever find a resolution for this issue in SQL 2008?? I am having the same issue with jobs after migrating a SQL database from 2000

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply