Enterprise Manager and Long Instance Names

• I was testing a question I had the other day, and found that if I created a SQL Instance which had an name of 128 characters (a valid identifier according to BOL) I couldn't regisiter the server in Enterprise Manager.  I could however connect via Query Analyzer (I didn't check ODBC or OLEDB as I was only interested in a stored procedure I was running).

The Instance name I used was TESTINGSQLENT\IWANTTOTESTTHEMAXIMUMNAMELENGTHIWANTTOTESTTHEMAXIMUMNAMELENGTHIWANTTOTESTTHEMAXIMUMNAMELENGTHIWANTTOTESTTHEMAXIMUM

The other interesting thing to note was that when trying to register with Enterprise Manager using SQL Authentication, the SQL Instance name was trucated to show "(InstanceName - len(SQLUserID)) + SQLUserId". In other words: TESTINGSQLENT\IWANTTOTESTTHEMAXIMUMNAMELENGTHIWANTTOTESTTHEMAXIMUMNAMELENGTHIWANTTOTESTTHEMAXIMUMNAMELENGTHIWANTTOTESTTHEMAXIMsa

Which probably explains why it wouldn't register, but then I couldn;t register via Windows Authentication either.

Does anyone else get this behaviour? And no I don't make a habit of having really long names.

• Okay, don't bother answering.  I eventually found my own answer to curiosity.

Instance Names apparently are limited to 16 characters, which doesn't follow the rules of a valid identifier.

Now the question becomes is that 15+1+16 characters or just 16 characters total?

• Check books online searching for 'Instance Name' under 'Installing SQL Server' answers to all your questions should be there.

ll

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply