Enterprise Manager 8.0 and Sql Server 7.0 DB''s

• Is it possible to administer SQL Server 7.0 databases and SQL Server 2k databases from one Enteprise Manager 8.0? Have to support two applications with these two different versions of DB's. Don't ask.

• This is an asssumption, but in sqlserver 2000 you can set the compatibility level of the database. The 2000 dbs have a level of 80 (8.0), if you set it to 70 (7.0), the database will run as if it was using the version 7.0 of sql server. And since you can do that I assume that you can do at least some basic stuff with enterprise manager.

• Yes, you can manage SQL Server 7 instances with Enterprise Manager 8.0.

• I did not have problems even with databases running with compatibility level 6.5 when those databases were already upgraded to 7.0 and my tools were 2000 (version 8). Yes, there were and there is some minor things like if a database compatibility level 6.5 you can not Open TOP (in EM) or Select TOP (in Query Analyzer)

So you can manage 2000 and 7.0 servers with 2000 tools. You can not manage 6.5 databases with  2000 tools.

Yelena

Regards,Yelena Varsha

• Thanks to all who have responded. You have made my work life a little easier.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply