Edition upgrade with mirroring?

• I have 2 SQL2014 servers, both Standard Edition. Server A mirrors it's databases to Server B. I want to upgrade both servers to Enterprise Edition. I assume the proper procedure is to:

1. upgrade Server B to Enterprise

2. move the primary databases from Server A to Server B so that Server A is now the mirror server.

3. upgrade Server A to Enterprise

4. move the primary databases back to Server A from Server B

Is this correct, or can I simply upgrade them in place and not do any moving of the primary databases?

• Hi Mick, according to this article [http://www.sqlskills.com/blogs/glenn/how-to-perform-a-rolling-edition-upgrade-while-using-database-mirroring/] which is one version back from yours (2012), you can pretty much do as you describe; upgrading the secondary instance first without having to tear down prior and rebuild the mirrors after the edition upgrade. As you mentioned, you would upgrade the secondary instance first. During the upgrade, the mirrored database(s) will go into a disconnected state for about 10 seconds, and then will automatically reconnect and change from a synchronizing to a synchronized state. You will failover the mirrored database to the newly upgraded instance prior to performing it on the original primary.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply