Easiest way to create a copy of a database with partitioned tables

• Hello, I was wondering, is restoring AS new database from a backup the easiest/ fastest option? I assume the partition function and scheme, files and file groups will be restored identically? Any special considerations? Thank you!

• Marius.D - Tuesday, September 11, 2018 9:56 AM

Hello, I was wondering, is restoring AS new database from a backup the easiest/ fastest option? I assume the partition function and scheme, files and file groups will be restored identically? Any special considerations? Thank you!

It's not the fastest.  A SAN SNAPSHOT would be the fastest but... most people don't have that option.  A restore to a new database will preserve all the partitioning stuff you identified if and only if you ensure that any extra file groups/files that may have been setup for the portioning are also fully restored and recovered.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden - Tuesday, September 11, 2018 10:21 AM

Marius.D - Tuesday, September 11, 2018 9:56 AM

Hello, I was wondering, is restoring AS new database from a backup the easiest/ fastest option? I assume the partition function and scheme, files and file groups will be restored identically? Any special considerations? Thank you!

It's not the fastest.  A SAN SNAPSHOT would be the fastest but... most people don't have that option.  A restore to a new database will preserve all the partitioning stuff you identified if and only if you ensure that any extra file groups/files that may have been setup for the portioning are also fully restored and recovered.

Thank you for the quick reply. I'm not sure what you mean by "only if you ensure that any extra file groups/ files that may have been setup for the partitioning are also fully restored and recovered." Isn't RESTORE DATABASE all I need to do? This should recreate all files under a new name in a new destination... Thanks!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply