dynamic sql - string being truncated issue

• I have a string that is declared nvarchar(max). Once the string has been built the length is 4178.

DECLARE @MyString nvarchar(max)

SET @MyString = N'Insert Into ...'

EXECUTE sp_executesql @MyString

Error Message: String or binary data would be truncated.

I am stumped as to why the above would give me this error.

Thanks Tim

• The issue is likely with your insert statement. A piece of data in the statement exceeds the column size. So you might be trying to put 40 characters of data in a 30 character column. The issue does not appear to be with the dynamic sql, but what is actually being executed. Look at your data and column sizes for the issue.

• you error message is not related to your (max) string, it's related to a specific varchar/char column in the sql statement you built...

if a column has a definition of a varchar(8), for example, and your INSERT statemnt tries to stick 12 characters in it, you will get that error: String or binary data would be truncated.

take a look at the specifics for you statement you built, and see if you can find the data that is larger than one of the columns.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• That was the probelm. I did not even think of the query I was trying to execute was the problem. The piece of code has always worked. I had some tunnel vision going on.

Thanks Tim

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply