dtsrun would not die

• I wrote a procedure to issue a dts run.

EXEC master..xp_cmdshell 'DTSRun /S' ServerName /E /N"PackageName" /W '

However something happened in one of the step in the dts package so I have to kill the process.

KILL (spid)

No matter how many time I killed it.  It is still out there.  It seemed the execution of the package using xp_cmdshell open a specific server process but it remains in the server even I kill it.

Does anyone know how to fix it?

Many thanks.

• re-boot the server! Thats  the only way U can get rid of that!

• If you have not done so already, you should try bouncing the service "MSSQLSERVER".  That will usually clean up processes like that.

Jeff

• You can also log onto the server, open Windows Task Manager, go to the processes tab, find the dtsrun.exe process and end that process. That will also clear up the SQL connection. This way you are not impacting any of the other SQL users on that server.

My question is why this is such an issue. I would like to think that there would be an even less offensive way to clean this up when there are failures. So, if anyone has any other ideas I would be glad to hear them.

David

@SQLTentmaker

“He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose” - Jim Elliot

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply