DTS Log is out of order

• When my DTS package completes it writes an error log out to a path on the server. The problem is that the steps are out of order. It makes it very difficult to read. I went into disconnected edit and found that the steps were out of order there too, but it executes in the correct order. How can I change this order?

thanks-

izzy

Elizabeth

Elizabeth

• Elizabeth,

I do not think you can change this. My solution is as follows:

I actually at the end of the package - which is a main package calling other packages etc. - added ActiveX script - that actually gets the information about the package itself and its steps including any called packages and uses properties of steps and tasks and the DTS object model methods to get all the information about the steps and their execution (eg time started finished etc).

You need to set the property LogToSQLServer to true ) of the package - there are two tables in MSDB database which hold this information. (dtsPackagesLog and dtsStepsLog

And I actually build in this ActiveX script - my own text log which contains the info in the chronological order about execution of the whole package - and also uses the description of steps and packages (I tend not to change the name which are generated by DTS itself when I build the package in EM), that way the log is meaningful even for administrator who does not know much about the package itself. The only thing is that for the steps in the main package which may follow this activeX step (eg e-mail step which I built and then send to notify about the outcome of the run) I do not have information about their progress - as I write the info while the step is run oer only will be run.

I do not have at hand any more details, all the details I have at work - and I am at home now.

I can post later the sample output - and the ActiveX code - if you are interested in the details.

Hope this explain things

Tom

Edited by - tomekn on 02/26/2002 07:21:37 AM

Edited by - tomekn on 02/26/2002 07:22:41 AM

• THANKS. NO ONE SEEMED TO UNDERSTAND MY PROBLEM BUT YOU. I APPRECIATE THE INFO.

ELIZABETH

Elizabeth

Elizabeth

• I will send you an e-mail with more details.

(P.S.) I use here different username.

Tom

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply