Dreams of the Future

• I knew a couple who, after retirement, sold their house and bougnt a motorhome, living in it full time, migrating with the seasons (they continued to do this until the wife died). They belonged to an organization of about 50,000 people doing basically that (Escapees).

Travelling in a motorhome is very different than conventional travel, in that while your outside environment constantly changes, you have a home with places for everything, your bed, your kitchen, it's not like living out of a suitcase.

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Dreams of the Future

• I love to travel, but flying has become a huge hassle. By the time I get all my 3oz or less toothpastes, shampoo..., get to the airport somehow, arrive 2 hours early only to either be 2.5 hours early, or 15 minutes late, get from the airport to destination somehow - I find it not worthwhile. Unfortunately there is no good alternative for crossing the oceans - so I guess we have to live with it.

My wife and I are easing into retirement - we both just dropped to 3/4 time. I hope we can do more traveling. But I have done lots of calculations and found by the time you get an RV, pay for its insurance, gas... you could easily have paid for a nice hotel.

• It's not the people!

Mostly it's the time (time in air, time in airports, time difference) that's messing me up and making me cranky and miserable. Also, since that's the place I'm being asked to travel, I mentioned the UK specifically. never fear, you rank ahead of the rest of Europe, Africa, Asia, South America, Antarctica, etc. Australia is interesting, might be willing to go visit Peter Ward and company down there sometime. Have to be a month trip though to travel 20 hours in a plane.

I can deal with the weather in the short term.

• Thats alright then ๐Ÿ˜€

Yeah waiting in airports after coming in over night from the states is a real bitch, I landed in Heathrow about 07:30 GMT and the connecting flight was at 10:00 GMT.

West to East flying is the killer.

Hiding under a desk from SSIS Implemenation Work :crazy:

• Mr Jones -

'...especially the UK.'

explain yourself please?

• yes, please do!

There is no problem so great that it can not be solved by caffeine and chocolate.
  • Wow, these people have sure hit on my dream. I don't want the big gas-guzzling motorhome but would love a small camper (Chalet or A-Liner) to haul around the country when I retire. I'd want to keep my house but would love to explore our country from coast to coast, staying in state parks or similar along the way.

I used to love to fly, but it has become such a big hassle now that I'd rather not. However, that is by no means a steadfast refusal.

In the meantime, I'll continue to camp in the back of my truck:cool:

• Maybe he meant it in a way of long time travelling to UK and maybe to some bad weather too :hehe::D

-------------------------------------------------------------
    "It takes 15 minutes to learn the game and a lifetime to master"
    "Share your knowledge. It's a way to achieve immortality."

• Weather has been really wild all week in the North East - specially the gale force winds. ๐Ÿ˜€

I always consider long distance travel an adventure.

I think he just want's to stay on the ranch - must be a pace of life thing.

• Heh, last week I traveled to Dรผsseldorf and Hamburg and the weather was the same, winds was up to 250 kmph and raining all the time ๐Ÿ™

Thats why I like my home in Croatia, most of the time is sunny ๐Ÿ˜€

I would want to stay on the ranch too if I had one, that is

-------------------------------------------------------------
    "It takes 15 minutes to learn the game and a lifetime to master"
    "Share your knowledge. It's a way to achieve immortality."

• Domagoj Orec (3/6/2008)

Maybe he meant it in a way of long time travelling to UK and maybe to some bad weather too :hehe::D

Because, of course, we do have lots of tornados in Britain ๐Ÿ˜‰

I must admit I can sympathise, though; I have a lot of reasons for not particularly liking visiting the US. I've had a great time meeting a lot of the Americans I have, and very welcoming and pleasant most of them have been too, but I still don't much like the actual visiting.

Semper in excretia, suus solum profundum variat

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply