Does Your Work Attire Really Make a Difference?

• Funny story, a little off topic.

A while back I was eating at a fairly busy diner. One woman sitting at the counter waiting for a takeout order finally turned to a casually dressed (construction worker look)  man next to her at the counter and complained about the wait asked if he was also waiting for food.

He replied 'I'm the owner'. Food was promptly delivered.

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --

• Chris Harshman - Wednesday, November 1, 2017 10:36 AM

I worked at a company in the late 90's that still required a button down shirt and tie every day for the men.  Of course the women's dress code was more relaxed for whatever reason.  

Society has seldom expected women to wear shirts and ties, for which I am grateful. However far too many women feel compelled by expectations to wear uncomfortable and impractical shoes. For me, comfort comes first, together with a level of smartness appropriate to the company environment. At my current (young) company, dress code is very relaxed, anything goes as long as it doesn't show inappropriate flesh. People work hard and care about the quality of what they produce. Thus, my 'dress code' is decent jeans and a company T shirt during the day. I change when I get home, it's important to me to preserve the boundary between home and work regardless of the work dress code.

• I'm probably with wear what is appropriate for the situation.

I can understand that if you are in public service some kind of uniform is better. It allows the general public to identify and distinguish a point of contact and reduces confusion in complex situations and their are often very sound practical reasons for uniforms (think surgeons / chefs / firemen / police even should other individuals not be present.

Presenting where you are meeting someone for the first time and in particular you are trying to sell something then I'm afraid you should dress up.

Working on a long term task with colleagues in an office environment which is generally an extremely controlled physical environment  - clean and not showing too much flesh is fine.

Between knowledge workers in the same domain though costume and attire holds little or no merit which I think is fine. I went to an introduction of SQL Server 2016 in the Microsoft Edinburgh Offices. This was a highly technical conference with lots of very very intelligent people there. No one except me wore a tie and they all knew more about SQL Server than me. I took that tie off pretty quick especially as a speaker made a joke about me being a manager, I actually don't mind wearing ties.

cloudydatablog.net

• julie.woolner - Wednesday, November 1, 2017 2:06 PM

Chris Harshman - Wednesday, November 1, 2017 10:36 AM

I worked at a company in the late 90's that still required a button down shirt and tie every day for the men.  Of course the women's dress code was more relaxed for whatever reason.  

Society has seldom expected women to wear shirts and ties, for which I am grateful. However far too many women feel compelled by expectations to wear uncomfortable and impractical shoes...I change when I get home, it's important to me to preserve the boundary between home and work regardless of the work dress code.

I wouldn't expect women to wear ties, but it just seemed at that company that what they wore was barely in the "business casual" category so I found the double standard amusing.  I completely understand the "boundary between home and work" thing.  I wear business casual to work even though my current company has a more casual dress code.  I'll even wear business casual if I'm working from home all day, so it feels like I'm at work.  :hehe:

• I am old fashioned in many ways when it come to this.  I think men should always wear pants and shoes;  I do not want to see my male co-workers in shorts and sandals. Not even on casual Fridays.
    I have no problem with jeans and a polo style (collar) shirt for IT people - we are often on our knees and crawling around and need to have clothing appropriate for those activities.
    I have ruined more clothes installing and decommissioning servers in the data center then should be allowed; the company I worked for required Dress Pants and Shirts even for IT.

• I also don't want to work with people (of any gender) wearing shorts. I do not want to see that. Also, please cover your toes. 

Where I work it's very corporate, and that suits me fine. Nobody has to wear a tie, though. (They are encouraged for external-facing meetings, but not enforced in any way.)  At my stage in life (30s) I'm honestly very glad not to be working for somebody who wears a damn hoodie.

• I much prefer to not have a dress code. I have worked places where you are expected to wear "smart" clothes but as a woman who spends the rest of the time in jeans and a t-shirt I find the whole dressing up thing rather restrictive. For one, the pockets on women's clothing are pathetically small/non-existent and furthermore it makes the working week start on a Sunday evening when you suddenly realise you have to iron some horrendous work garb ready for the morning. I think it's maybe more important to look smart if you're going to visit a client (I don't ever). The freedom to wear what I want is quite an important consideration for me when it comes to working.

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply