Does it help?

• I'm sure this one will be unanimous. I work for a company that is sensitive to the needs of their employees and I have three 19” monitors. I am not sure I could even go back to using just two, much less one for work. I only have one at home and it’s a hassle sometimes but it doesn’t bring in a paycheck so I don’t have leverage to get another monitor for home use.

[font="Tahoma"]Bryant E. Byrd, BSSE MCDBA MCAD[/font]
    Business Intelligence Administrator
    MSBI Administration Blog

• Oh man I'm so jealous reading these posts about multiple monitors.  I've been using a single 22" CRT for years now, never even thought about moving to two monitors.  I guess when I get a new computer at work I'll keep my current monitor rather than chucking it, hopefully moving up to an LCD.

• I am working with a single 17" monitor.  Either a larger monitor or dual monitors would likely improve productivity.  But neither of those is going to happen.  Oh well.

Scott

• We are testing out the use of two monitors at work.  I have been working on two 17" LCDs at 1280x1024 and it is nice.  Nice as it is I would prefer to have one 20" and one 17" so I can use the 1600x1200 for VS and SQL MS.  The extra size would make coding that much easier.  Spread that cost over a five year replacement plan and the increase in productivity pays for it many times over.

• I've had 2 19" Monitors for about a year now, and I'd NEVER go back.  We use Villatetronic video cards to give us the multipe monitor setup on our laptops.  I even use my laptop's screen as a third. 

• I'm on the 2-monitor bandwagon

I have two 19" LCDs in the office and two 17" LCDs at home. The ability to work in full monitor in one application, and see the result in anotehr is fantastic

I'm looking to add a 3rd LCD in the office as soon as possible, but I want to have three of a kind, so it means getting the existing two into a replacement program so i can pass the down the line, then get 3 new ones

• My previous company received a ton of fax orders and it was very clear that the dual (14 inch) monitors were an order of magnitude better than a single 17 inch monitor. The csr's were almost 3x more productive with the dual 14's than the 17 - keying accuracy was much better as well. I couldn't survive at work without my laptop screen and external monitor (lcd purchased by me - they gave me an old 17 inch crt that flickered badly).

• Perhaps there's money to be made here.  I totally agree that 2 monitors is better for doing actual work than one monitor, but what if a huge, fancy, wide monitor had 2 inputs so it could act as 2 monitors, or act as one huge monitor if you didn't need to do actual work (watching DVD's, whatever).  I know, the aspect ratio would have to be different.  Widescreen is 16x9 (or 16x10 for a lot of computer monitors for some reason), and two conventional monitors would be 8x3, so it would be the difference between 16x10 or 16x9 and 16x8.  Perhaps while working in single monitor mode you could choose whether you want to display 16x8, 16x9, or 16x10 (leaving black bands on the sides...).

Any thoughts?

• Two monitors hands down.  I can put the list of jobs on one monitor and scroll through the procs that they should be calling in another.  Admin was never so easy until I started work last year at a company that as a standard gives all its IT folks the two monitor option.

• Bill Plummer, wow, I want to work for your company. That's a nice setup. One question on it, what happens when you use the laptop remotely with just the one monitor. Does it mess up your window settings when you redock with 3?

The idea of being able to "split" one large monitor is interesting. I'd be willing to try something like that if I could setup a 42" one with 3 screens, maybe even off two computer though I'm not sure how the keyboard/mouse work.

I've been debating on going to 3 and I may here soon as I might free up another LCD monitor. I know there's times I'd like to be doing two things and having something running on a 3rd, like the baseball playoffs or March Madness

• I have two 19" LCD monitors at work, and they are much superior to the single 21" CRT monstrosity that I used to have.  That thing was so gigantic that I actually traded down to a single 19" CRT because the thing was so close to my face that it hurt my eyes.  I'm delighted about my new setup, and am now having fond thoughts of three monitors

I kind of like the idea of a single dual-width monitor.  There are some applications like Visual Studio .Net that start to get a little cramped on a single monitor, what with all the side panels I use heavily, clamoring for space.  My code runs off the edge of its panel, my Solution Explorer always has a horizontal scrollbar, and the Properties window sits immediately below it, encroaching vertically.  It would be great to expand that window across two monitors, but unfortunately the edges of the monitors land right smack in the middle of my code, making it all but impossible to read.

I would want to be able to configure other applications to Maximize to only half of that screen, though.  Rarely with Excel, Outlook, or Word do I need more than one monitor width, but I like being able to see these multiple apps at once.

• More real estate wins... no contest.  Now the issue between 30"+ or two 19"...  Currently I use two 19"s for work but I've been thinking about a 37" for home.

The problem with 30" screens and larger, is that we don't have the added functionality to support such screens within the operating system.  Our operating system is designed for a single monitor, and with a simple tool, you can have programs like ultramon with one button monitor toggle.

There needs to be a tool that allows you to customize the size of your applications, so if you wanted to 'maximize' then your app would adjust to a size you see fit (such as 1280x1024, 800x600, etc.)  Even an option such as 'dock top left' or 'dock lower right' would be helpful.

These tools added with more functionality that I've seen in SUSE 10.1 (haven't checked out Vista yet) added with a little bit of user training, I believe a single monitor would be even more productive than two monitors.

-S

• I use a laptop at work with a second LCD monitor attached. 2 Screens is way better than having one large screen for the very reason stated in the article. you spend too much time moving things around with one monitor. And the ability to see 2 apps full screen on two monitors is great for a DBA. I can run a process on one screen and monitor it on the other, for performance etc.

• Hi, I have been using my Laptop screen and also second 15" screen which is as every seems to think much better than a single large screen. 

However a colleague of mine recently asked about having 3 screens on his desk.  Using the laptop we were a little unsure of how to do it since only one other VGA port but came up with these.

http://digitaltigers.com/multi-monitor.shtml

The price is a little prohibitive but the idea is good.  Needless to say we haven’t bought any yet.  Has anyone else tried any?

• Two monitors, absolutely! 🙂 I've tried the single 'BIG'  monitor approach in the past, too, and my opinion is that two monitors add 20-30% to my productivity, while 'futzing' around with one large (or small) one does very little productivity-wise. And, these days the cost of a multiple monitor setup is very low. I even have a multiple monitor kvm setup at home.

One thing I do find curious is that there does not seem to be any laptop size monitors on the market - ones that would be close to the size and shape of a laptop's monitor so it could go side-by-side.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply