Do an Insert, then back to a Select (Easy way?)

• I'm trying to find a simple way of doing this.

I'm inserting a UserId and Date and the SpaID is an auto increment number

rs_SQL = "INSERT INTO Spa (LastMaintID, LastMaintDate) Values ('"& ClockNumber &"', GetDate() ) "

rs_SQL = "SELECT Max(SpaID) as SpaID FROM Spa"

SpaID = rs("SpaID")

rs_SQL = "SELECT AccountInfo, SpaStartDate FROM Spa WHERE SpaID = '"& SpaID &"' "

SpaStartDate = rs("SpaStartDate")

AccountInfo = rs("AccountInfo")

Is there a way I can do this all in one step? Instead of 3?

• Sell I would recommend that you do not do embedded sql in your application, but thats just me.

I'm not exactly sure if you can do this so give it a try.

When you try to retreive the last record inserted, I dont think this will be reliable, because someone could have inserted a row between your insert, and this lookup.

rs_SQL = "SELECT Max(SpaID) as SpaID FROM Spa"

SpaID = rs("SpaID")

So Try this.

rs_SQL = "INSERT INTO Spa (LastMaintID, LastMaintDate) Values ('"& ClockNumber &"', GetDate() ) select scope_Identity() as SpaID " which this will return the Key of the record you inserted.

Then you can do this

SpaID = rs_SQL("SpaID")

rs_SQL = "SELECT AccountInfo, SpaStartDate FROM Spa WHERE SpaID = '"& SpaID &"' "

Give er a try.

but you can certainly do all of this in a stored procedure, using only 1 call.

• Ray - I had no idea you could do an insert and select as you did....I took it one step further with:

rs_SQL = 'INSERT INTO Spa (LastMaintID, LastMaintDate) Values ('"& ClockNumber &"', GetDate()) SELECT AccountInfo, SpaStartDate FROM Spa WHERE SpaID = Scope_Identity()'

and IT WORKED!

slboytoy: You might have to tweak the quotes some...

And about not using embedded SQL - it's not just you Ray!

**ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI !!!**

• The Scope_Identity works great (when using Query Analyzer).  When I post in ASP and try to retrieve the rs("SpaId") I get

Item cannot be found in the collection corresponding to the requested name or ordinal.

I'm not sure you can do an Insert + Select in the same SQL connection.  rsS.Open rs_SQL, SQLConnStr, 3, 3

• that's because your select only has the "AccountInfo, SpaStartDate " fields - add "SpaId" to it and run again.....

**ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI !!!**

• I'm not sure you can do an Insert + Select in the same SQL connection.

Yes it is called a batch! And I would suggest you put that logic in a stored procedure for performanc, easier maintenance,  better security, level of indirection, Back end Tables independence and all other nice feature that come along with them

* Noel

• I changed the query to reflect that.   I just used  "Insert .......  SELECT SCOPE_IDENTITY() as SpaID "

Since everyone is telling me to use storeprocedures, I might start converting my pages..

• Since everyone is telling me to use storeprocedures, I might start converting my pages..

Good for you

* Noel

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply