DNS???

• Hello there!

I'm trying to setup a DNS connection to a SQL database created by upsizing an Access DB.

The attemps fails on no connection because I need to define some protocol???

Thanks for the tip.

Jeam

• Ususally when you set up the DSN you should set the protocol to TCP/IP.  Are you using the SQLServer driver? 

• It sounds like you've moved an Access database to SQL Server and now you need to gain access to the data via ODBC and set up a DSN (Data Source Name).  You can do this from either the ODBC Administrator or from within Access.

From the ODBC Administrator (Control Panel) select the System DSN tab and click on 'Add'.  You'll then choose the SQL Server driver and provide information about your server and database.

From within Access, click on the Tables tab and select 'New'.  Choose 'Linked Table' from the options and then choose ODBC from the 'Files of Type' combo box.  From here, click on the Machine Data Source tab and click on the 'New' button.  Choose 'System DSN' and then the SQL Server driver.  Follow the prompts to enter information specific to your server and database.

Once the DSN has been created, you can link in tables in Access.  Keep in mind though that each PC that needs to access the data will need to have the DSN set up.

• Thanks for replies. I think that I had a bogus version of the SQL Server engine. It come from the fact that I installed MSDE and Analysis Services only (did not want the full blown SQL running on my desktop) and I was trying a link from Analysis Services via DSN. I've finally installed SQL Server Enterprise Manager in which I can setup the db connections and Analysis Services' setup is straightforward once the instance of the SQL Server is referenced. No need to provide further settings.

Trying the way I was yesterday the connection was failing on TCP/IP for whatever reason...

Jeam

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply