Diskpart /align on Windows XP secondary partition

• I have a development laptop with a Windows XP sp3 and a 300GB drive partitioned into 2 parts. Drive C: is 150GB and contains the Windows OS, program files, etc. I have not yet partitioned the remaining 150GB and would like to use that for SQL data and log files.

The diskpart utility for XP does not seem to have an "align" option. I know you cannot align the primary OS partition (C:) but is it not possible to align a secondary partition?

Referring to: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd758814.aspx

Using the command: "create partition primary align=1024"

gives an error "The arguments you specified for this command are not valid".

Thanks

• RD-201664 (1/20/2010)

I have a development laptop with a Windows XP sp3 and a 300GB drive partitioned into 2 parts. Drive C: is 150GB and contains the Windows OS, program files, etc. I have not yet partitioned the remaining 150GB and would like to use that for SQL data and log files.

The diskpart utility for XP does not seem to have an "align" option. I know you cannot align the primary OS partition (C:) but is it not possible to align a secondary partition?

Referring to: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd758814.aspx

Using the command: "create partition primary align=1024"

gives an error "The arguments you specified for this command are not valid".

Thanks

My understanding is that it must be done prior to any partitioning on the drive. However, there may be 3rd party tools which will permit you to achieve this.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• It must be done at partition creation time, and the link states that. However, I'm not sure it works in XP. I haven't seen a reference that it is valid syntax. This it primarily for servers, not client OSes.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply