Disappearing Service Manager Icon

• I recently installed SQL Server 2000 and applied SP3a on a windows 2000 SP4 server, the installation was uneventful and from all indications SQL Server appears to work just fine. However, when I start the Service Manager, it starts and runs for about 10 seconds then disappears, the icon in the system tray stays until I move my mouse over it at which time it disappears was well. There are no error messages and there does not seem to be any affect on SQL Server itself. I deinstalled and reinstalled SQL Server which did not correct the problem. Has anyone seen this behavior and is there a fix? Thanks for your help.

Ken

• I've never seen that happen, but since you are just installing SQL Server 2000, why not install SP4?

-SQLBill

• That might be worth a try. Thanks!

Ken

• I've also seen this happening when we installed sql2005 beta x and hooked it onto our production network.

Service manager got back to normal after we shutdown this sql2005 server (or unplugged it from the network).

Now with rtm, sp1 and SP2 its all ok.

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• Have you been able to resolve the problem? We are seeing the same issue on a QA server running SQL2000 Std. SP3a and Win2000 Std Sp4. The icon SQL service manager icon disappears after a few seconds. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

• That was some time ago and I believe we installed SP4 and the problem went away. Have you given sp4 a try?

Ken

• Not yet. This is a QA system in a chain of systems (development and production) all SP3a. We are planning to upgrade to SP4, but are not there yet. The problem seems to be related to Windows SP4.

• I recently had to add generation of a tray icon to a program. It's essentially done via a Windows API called Shell_NotifyIcon to which you pass a structure which includes the Windows handle of something belonging to your program, e.g. a form.

I have noticed your behavior when I kill the program that placed the tray icon, i.e. I kill the program but the tray icon remains. Then I run my mouse over the tray icon and it disappears.

But getting back to SQL Server 2000, when I right click on the SQL Server tray icon and choose Exit, it goes away. But when I then do Start/All Program/Microsoft SQL Server/Service Manager and click on the X in the upper right hand corner the tray icon comes back and stays back. I'm on SP4.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply