differential Backup

• Hi,

I'm creating full DB backup at first day of each month. then I'm creating differential backup everyday. Now suppose its 14th day of month and I want to restore backup of 7th day to a new DB. I restore the full backup to a new DB with NORECOVERY option first. Then when I want to restore the differential backup of 7th day on the same DB, I'm getting following error:

This differential backup cannot be restored because the database has not been restored to the correct earlier state.

Could you tell me what I'm doing wrong?

• have you restored the 6 earlier differential backups?

• actually my main question is this, shall I choose the previous 6 backups and restore them one by one?

Then what if I want to restore the 29th differential backup? is there anything wrong with my backup plan?

• I feel that there must be a FULL backup taken between the 1st and the 7th day. Please check the Backup History tables in MSDB to verify the same. The below query should help you to find that.

USE MSDB

DECLARE @DBNAME VARCHAR(25)

SET @DBNAME='DatabaseName'

SELECT A.BACKUP_FINISH_DATE,

B.Physical_Device_Name

FROM MSDB..BACKUPSET A, MSDB..BACKUPMEDIAFAMILY B

WHERE A.DATABASE_NAME=@DBNAME AND

A.TYPE='D' AND

A.MEDIA_SET_ID = B.MEDIA_SET_ID

Pradeep Adiga
    Blog: sqldbadiaries.com
    Twitter: @pradeepadiga

• yep. as far as i'm aware, the differntial backup only records data changes since the last differential. so if you need to restore to the 29th differential, you need to restore the full backup in norecovery, the previous 28 differentials in norecovery and then the 29th differential (in norecovery if you want to restore transaction logs or recovery if you want the database recovered). books online has a lot of info and describes it all in much better detail than i can...

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms188230.aspx

• I got my answer

Thanks all for your comments 🙂

• peace2007 (3/4/2009)

actually my main question is this, shall I choose the previous 6 backups and restore them one by one?

Then what if I want to restore the 29th differential backup? is there anything wrong with my backup plan?

If you predicting that kind of situation yes, you should change your backup plan and take frequent differential backups. If you want to go back to specific point in time, start taking log backups too.

If its a production system, the DR plan really depends on your business needs.

• iainthepitman (3/4/2009)

yep. as far as i'm aware, the differntial backup only records data changes since the last differential. so if you need to restore to the 29th differential, you need to restore the full backup in norecovery, the previous 28 differentials in norecovery and then the 29th differential (in norecovery if you want to restore transaction logs or recovery if you want the database recovered). books online has a lot of info and describes it all in much better detail than i can...

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms188230.aspx%5B/quote%5D

iainthepitman ...you are conveying wrong information!!!!!!!

Differential backup backs up data from last full backup...

if u have full backup at 1st of month and 2 diff backups one is at 2nd and another at 3rd of month then ur diff backup of 2nd is of no use coz 3rd backup hass all info ...u can try doing this on test server...

• iainthepitman (3/4/2009)

yep. as far as i'm aware, the differntial backup only records data changes since the last differential. so if you need to restore to the 29th differential, you need to restore the full backup in norecovery, the previous 28 differentials in norecovery

Nope. That's how transaction log backups behave. Differentials store the changes since the last full, so only the last one needs restoring, then all the log backups in sequence.

Peace: Most likely someone took a full backup somewhere in between. Full backups reset the differential base, so you have to make sure you use the correct full backup. Best option, when taking ad-hoc full backups is to use the COPY_ONLY option, as that ensures that the full you're taking does not reset the differential base.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Yes, that is incorrect ... pls check http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms345448.aspx

At restore time, before you restore a differential backup, you must restore its base. Then, restore only the most recent differential backup to bring the database forward to the time when that differential backup was created. Typically, you would restore the most recent full backup followed by the most recent differential backup that is based on that full backup.

• Peace: Most likely someone took a full backup somewhere in between. Full backups reset the differential base, so you have to make sure you use the correct full backup. Best option, when taking ad-hoc full backups is to use the COPY_ONLY option, as that ensures that the full you're taking does not reset the differential base.

Thanks Gail. That might be the problem, I'm sure developers take backups in between I have to ask them to do that with my coordination.

By the way, then why I get an error in restoring those differentials? Could you please take a look at my question at first message of this thread?

• peace2007 (3/4/2009)

Peace: Most likely someone took a full backup somewhere in between. Full backups reset the differential base, so you have to make sure you use the correct full backup. Best option, when taking ad-hoc full backups is to use the COPY_ONLY option, as that ensures that the full you're taking does not reset the differential base.

Thanks Gail. That might be the problem, I'm sure developers take backups in between I have to ask them to do that with my coordination.

By the way, then why I get an error in restoring those differentials? Could you please take a look at my question at first message of this thread?

A second full backup was taken between the 1 on the first and the differential taken on the seventh day.

• maybe;)

• Maybe you could run the backup set query that was posted above and know for sure.

• I'll do that:)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply