Difference between Partition and index for table

• Hi,

I want to know what is the difference between partitioned table and indexed table. indexing is used for faster searching. What is the main advantage of partitioning the table or database. Will partition solve any performance issue?

And one more questions, in sql i have the number 12.23 i want to display it as 12. if 12.63 the 13 like wise i want to round. How do i achieve this.

Can anybody help me on the same.

• I want to know what is the difference between partitioned table and indexed table. indexing is used for faster searching. What is the main advantage of partitioning the table or database. Will partition solve any performance issue?

partition table will still use the same index as the main table not the other way.

And one more questions, in sql i have the number 12.23 i want to display it as 12. if 12.63 the 13 like wise i want to round. How do i achieve this.

use round function.

select round(12.63,0) where first parameter is your digit and second parameter is the roundoff.

----------
    Ashish

• The main advantages of partitioning are around maintenance, data loading and data removal (if the partitioning is done properly)

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • what is data loading and removing. can you explain me.

• Data loading - inserting data into the table

Data removal - removing or deleting data from the table.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• ok..

but what is the role of partition in data loading and deleting the data.

• If you've got the partitioning correct, you can load into a separate table, create indexes then switch that into the partitioned table, same with deletes, switch the partition with the data to be deleted out, then drop that switched out table. Instant delete of potentially millions of rows.

Gail Shaw

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply