Did This Work? - Forum Changes at SQLServerCentral

• We had a bug that allowed anyone to mark a post on pages >2 as a solution. I think we've fixed that, but if anyone finds posts that should not be marked, send us a note with the "Report" button.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (2/18/2014)

Jeff Moden (2/16/2014)

As I stated peviously, the OP is frequently the worst person to judge answers. You have to remember that they asked the question because they don't know about the subject and they're frequently desparate and will take the first answer that works for them even if it might be the worst answer. I'd much rather people read through the discussion on a problem and find out what the better answers are.

I agree, however there is value in knowing that a solution helped them. The discussion can shake out if there are better solutions. Sometimes there are and the OP (or others) cannot implement them.

This is why I suggested doing both. Seeing what the OP has found is the best for their situation doesn't preclude seeing what's voted as best by the community.

There are a lot of site forums where questioners are thorough with testing proposed answers. You guys would be better judges of users here, though.

As for the chronological ordering... I was going to mention merely displaying an index, with links, at the thread top for the highest-voted answers and the OP's favorite, instead of making them stickies, but I was lazy. :hehe: Inclusion of a little graphical element to it could make it eye-catching.

• duplicate post accident :ermm:

• tmlink99 (2/23/2014)

This is why I suggested doing both. Seeing what the OP has found is the best for their situation doesn't preclude seeing what's voted as best by the community.

I'd like to do both. Need development time, which is tough to get.

We definitely need some eye-candy work in the forums.

• "Both" will be great.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply