Designing Data Model

• I am working on designing data model for education dept. we collect data using some s/w & store in it DB. All sort of information is collected & there are different tables for storing them. Each table along with information, contains fields which are mandatory for collection of data like term, area code etc.

presently, its a sort of staging DB. I am working on creating relational model.

Some tables are:

student -- Presently, this table contains information about student: Id,name, gender, address, admission details, term and many more items

teacher -- This contains similar information but relating to Teacher.

course -- Courses offered

calendar

Discipline

Enrollment

I am thinking of breaking student table into smaller tables as a table for address, admission details. Data fields which are mandatory for data collection should form composite PK.

The Pk would consist of year, district code,schoolcode, term id. This Pk would be in Student info table and would act as FK for other tables like student address, student admission details etc.

Next, I would adopt similar method in creating other tables from teacher table.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

• In the relational model your addresses should be a separate table as should admission details. Without knowing more I'd go with:

Students,

Teachers,

Addresses,

Admission_Details

Are you going to have multiple addresses per student or teacher?

• Thanks for your inputs. I appreciate your time & thoughts

Well, not sure about the multiple address. need to research on that aspect.This is going to be first draft...

So, trying to get a rough model.. to get some idea. Then, can proceed from there on.

Presently,I am trying to create separate tables for :

Student information(name, Id, gender, language spoken, Ethnicity,birth country)

Student Address(city, zipcode, state etc)

Student School(enter date, exit date, related stuff)

please advise,

Thanks

• Hi Jack,

Multiple addresses exists for single student. So, basically it is One to Many relationship between studentId and Address.

But then so....?

I didn't get implications by such relation

thanks

• In this case you have 2 options:

1. Storing student_id in the student addresses table will allow for multiple addresses per student.

2. Have a Students table, and Addresses table (can be used for any address), and a Student_Addresses table as a "glue" table with student_Id and address_Id. This allows for each student to have multiple addresses and each address to apply to multiple students (many to many relationship). Thus, if you have siblings in the school then you enter the address one time and assign it to both students.

I typically use option 2 because it offers more flexibility albeit with added complexity as well.

• I used to work for a software company for higher education products - student info, admission, registration, financial aid... for colleges.

What kind of system are you designing - just the student info?

All the modules can get into very complex, even student information. We have to store the student info, parent info, transcripts, tuition info.

• Jack,

I also feel option 2 is better. It provides flexibility. thanks

But before that, I am trying to resolve the issue of MIGHTY PKs. I feel resolving this issue can help me in establishing RI & can make life simpler 😉

Original table has composite PK. Now, I think one of the entity ,probably, 'student information' need to have the Composite Pk as it is the only way of uniquely identifying rows. Then May be, I can introduce an identity column here which could help in joining it to other entities.

Do you have any ideas/suggestions for me?

following is PK compose of:

A,B,C,D,ID,Link,Indicator

A,B,C,D are mandatory --necessary for data collection- identify term.

ID- sutdent's ID but can be null

'link' - used in linking with other related tables. It can'e be null in child tables

'indicator' - relates information of student w.r.t school -activity status

• Loner,

Working for an education Dept, I have to design a data model for a DB containing information about students, teachers, courses, accomodation, discipline, attendance, schedule, testscores, Parent/Gaurdian information etc.

Here, the main table is Students table and most of the tables relate to it.So, I am starting with analyzing this table. Later, I will move to other tables.

This table contains lots of data fields. And as I mentioned earlier, I divided it into 3 entities:

One for Student Information

second for Student Address

Third for information pertaining to School- schoolcode, enter date,exit date, no show reason etc

Now,for each table/entity I need to define PKs. The original table has 7 data fields forming composite PK. Something like following:

A,B,C,D,ID,Link,Indicator

Here A,B,C,D are mandatory ,can't be NULL. However, other columns can be.

data field -'link' is used in linking with other related tables. It can'e be null in child tables

indicator - relates information of student w.r.t school -activity status

ID- student's ID but can be null

BTW, this data is stored using an s/w which is used at local schools & there many fields aren't mandatory. For e.g: SSN is not necessary. Students also have District level Id, Statelevel ID but these can be null as well.

So, here I am..

I have this one big table with a composite PK & containing all the information. I want to break it into 3 smaller tables & is trying to figure out PK -FK issue

Please Advise,

I'll really appreciate.

Thanks

• I agree that the address table should be separated from the student table.

STUDENT

studentid (PK)

Studentname

StudentAddress

addressid (PK)

Addresstype

studentid (FK to STUDENT)

Address

city

state

zip

If you want to normalize it, you can create a table for addresstype and put addresstypeid in the studentaddress table and make an foreign key to AddressType table.

AddressType

AddressTypeid (PK)

AddressType

Description

TEST

Testid (pk)

TestName

Description

STUDENTTEST

Studentid

testid

TestDate

Score

(composite key = studentid, testid, testdate)

COURSE

Courseid

Coursename

CourseDescription

Faculty

Facultyid

FacultyName

Department

ClassSchedule

ClassScheduleid

Courseid

Facultyid

Semester

Classtime

Room

StudentClass

Studentid

ClassScheduleid

I like to design.;)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply