deploy express with application

• Hey All,

I was wondering if anyone knows a way to deploy Sql Server Express with a windows application that has been developed? Thanks.

Kindest Regards,

Seth Washeck

If nothing in this world satisfies me, perhaps it is because I was made for another world.
    C. S. Lewis

• Nevermind. Here is the response I got from a MS representative.

"There's still some licensing stuff to be worked out but you will be able to

put the self-extracting CAB file on your release and call the Express setup

from your setup. Once all the legal stuff has been worked out we will

release more instructions on how it works. Your other alternative is to put

a link to the download site in your setup. This is what the Visual Studio

Express editions do."

Kindest Regards,

Seth Washeck

If nothing in this world satisfies me, perhaps it is because I was made for another world.
    C. S. Lewis

• IIRC when you build the 'deployment project' within VS2005 you get the option to include SSEx as part of it.  Sorry I'm not being more specific - haven't got it in front of me right now.

• Sorry it's taken me a while to update this, but I've found it now - it's not exactly easy to find . . .

In solution explorer, rt-click your setup project and select 'properties'

In the middle of the configuration dialog which appears, titled <your project> Property Pages, is a blank text box labelled 'Prerequisites URL:' and to the right of this, a button labelled 'Settings'. Click this button, and select whatever you want installed.

The SQL Server Express install is configured by the file at

'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\SDK\v2.0\Bootstrapper\Packages\SqlExpress\en\package.xml

so you can edit this to switch network access on, change sa password, use SQL authentication etc etc., before building your setup project.

Hope this helps!

• Thanks a lot. That's great.

Kindest Regards,

Seth Washeck

C. S. Lewis

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply