Default parameter to All/None magic combo?

• SSRS 2008 report with three parameters and corresponding filters. I want the default to be "get me everything" but can't figure out the magic combo in the filter/parameter settings.

Filtering is single-select otherwise.

• You'll need to update the query/data set to handle null values for each of the three parameters

Where

SomeField = isNull(@SomeField, SomeField)

and NextField = isNull(@NextField, NextField)

and ThirdField = isNull(@ThirdField, ThirdField)

And set each parameter to allow blank and null values, set Default value to NULL

If you have a defined list of Available values for the parameter(s), you'll need to add a value for "get me everything". Label = "get me everything", Value = NULL.

If you are using dynamic list for parameters, add a select for the "get me everything" option. This is easily done with a union something like this:

Select

Label = 'get me everything'

,Value = NULL

,OrderIt = 0

UNION

select

Label = FieldName

,Value = FieldID

,OrderIt = 0

from

yourtable

order by OrderIt, Label

[font="Courier New"]Looking for a Deadlock Victim Support Group..[/font]
  • Done, but I'm still being forced to select something before the report will run. I want it to auto-run as soon as I open it.

• Update: user wanted two more filtering fields so I added those in and those two *do* show up with a default value of all/NULL (using the default default value of "(Null)"). The original three still show with "<Select a Value>". What's odd is that it's working as desired in BIDS preview mode but not when I upload the file to the report server and run from there. I've tried deleting and re-adding the parameters but that didn't change anything.

Any ideas anyone?

• Urgh. Was poking around looking at a few things on the report server itself and noticed that there was a 'Parameters" tab. Looked there and it was holding on to old, non-valid settings. Had to uncheck "Has Default", then re-check and check Null.

So there's a bunch of caching happening behind the scenes...

Is now finally(!) all working as desired.

• Pam Brisjar (11/28/2011)

Update: user wanted two more filtering fields so I added those in and those two *do* show up with a default value of all/NULL (using the default default value of "(Null)"). The original three still show with "<Select a Value>". What's odd is that it's working as desired in BIDS preview mode but not when I upload the file to the report server and run from there. I've tried deleting and re-adding the parameters but that didn't change anything.

Any ideas anyone?

Check the parameters in report manager. Sometimes a value gets thrown in there that overwrites the rdl.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• To get to parameters - select manage from the dropdown error for the report in question.

Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (11/28/2011)

To get to parameters - select manage from the dropdown error for the report in question.

Yeah, I stumbled on that just before you posted (see above). That was indeed the problem.

Thanks.

• Pam Brisjar (11/28/2011)

SQLRNNR (11/28/2011)

To get to parameters - select manage from the dropdown error for the report in question.

Yeah, I stumbled on that just before you posted (see above). That was indeed the problem.

Thanks.

D'oh - I missed that post.:-D:-D

Learn Extended Events

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply