default database setting question

• Is there any practical downside to setting ANSI_NULLS and QUOTED_IDENTIFIER to ON at the database level? Almost all devs will simply leave these default settings at the top of a stored proc script anyway.

• my shop is the opposite;

i never receive scripts that contain settings from developers. s

o i'd say since my default conection settings from SSMS will have those settings set at connection time, the database defaults would be handy if commands come form maybe sqlcmd,bcp or something like and ODBC driver, if they don't happen to set the attributes explicitly.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• I don't see any downside, only upside. SQL relies on those settings now anyway, and they will soon be required.

SQL DBA,SQL Server MVP(07, 08, 09) "It's a dog-eat-dog world, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear." "Norm", on "Cheers". Also from "Cheers", from "Carla": "You need to know 3 things about Tortelli men: Tortelli men draw women like flies; Tortelli men treat women like flies; Tortelli men's brains are in their flies".

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply