Default Constraints

• I am running a 2000 server but on my dev machine I have 2005 Management Studio. When I open up the constraints folder under a table it shows several constraints prefixed DF_tablename_(Although in Enterprise Manager I can't find them anywhere).

Are these default constraints that have been created? If so why are they created? I can't seem to find where these constraints are editable.  TIA for any responses.

• default constraints are part of a column definition...so you could see them by running sp_help tablename on a table, and any/all constraints on the table would appear on the list.

here's an example:

CREATE TABLE TEST(

TESTID int     identity(1,1) not null PRIMARY KEY,

AGE  int not null default (0)   CHECK (AGE >0),

GENDER  CHAR(1) not null default ('U') CHECK (GENDER IN('M','F','U')), --male/female/undefined

SOMEFLAG CHAR(1) not null default('N') CHECK (SOMEFLAG='Y' OR SOMEFLAG='N') )

exec sp_help test

drop table test

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Ok I understand Default Constraints now... These columns all have default values set to them.

I was looking into constraints because we are calling a view from an application and I'm getting a "Failed to enable constraints. One or more rows contain values violating non-null, unique, or foreign-key constraints." error.

Thanks for the post.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply