Debugger not working at client

• I can debug Stored Procedures using Query Analyzer or Studio.NET at server. But when I use client machine to do the same I cannot step into the code, rather the debugger skips all the code and directly returns the output. Please help me out in this regard.

My server is 2000 Enterprise Edition sp4.

Regards,

Rehan Ahmad Rattu

- Rattu

• I believe the issue is:

The code really isn't running on your machine. It runs on the server and returns the result to your machine. So, debugger can't step through it since it passes the whole thing to the server and only has the results to work with.

-SQLBill

• Thanks SQLBill,

But this means that nobody can debug a SP at client end, it is only possible at Server machine. What I think about this is a little upsetting thought, as SQL Server puts on excessive locking when you debug an SP, suggesting that it is only for the sole purpose of providing concurrency. So why it is not possible to debug an SP from client machine, Server can pass-on the debugger values/information to the client as in normal communication.

Still Confused!!

Regards,

Rehan

- Rattu

• Try running this first in the desired database from Query Analyzer:

sp_sdidebug 'legacy_on'

• Thanks

When i executed this on the desired database and reattempted the debug, it gave the folllowing error message:

Server: Msg 508, Level 16, State 1, Procedure sp_sdidebug, Line 1

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Unable to connect to debugger on TESTSRVUK (Error = 0x800401f3). Ensure that client-side components, such as SQLLE.DLL, are installed and registered on TRG-LZXJKHFFFC. Debugging disabled for connection 59.

Any thought?

Regards,

Rehan

- Rattu

• Look at this:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/trblsql/tr_servtools_5cfm.asp

MG

"There are two ways of constructing a software design. One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies. And the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies."
    Tony Hoare

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." Red Adair.

• At this point I'd need to get a DBA involved.  I'm just a lowly apps programmer.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply