dealing coworkers

• How does everyone deal with a coworker who's lazy, lacks listening skills, lacks logic skills, lacks technical knowledge, lacks initiative, talks slow, walks slow, can't type and is generally a pain in the ***?

I'm at my wits end on dealing with this person and I'm looking for ways NOT to blow my top.

Thanks in advance for any responses to this post.

Live to Throw
    Throw to Live
    Will Summers

• This person's ignorance and lack of initiative continue to amaze me.

Live to Throw
    Throw to Live
    Will Summers

• Have you thought about what the underlying problem is ?

e.g. is the person not interested in the job they are being asked to do ? is there something in that person's life (possibly outside of work) that is taking priority ? are they technically competent to do the job (they may simply be overwhelmed and this may be why they are not showing interest) ?

I having certainly experience this with someone who is extremely talented. The job they were doing (and were very good at) ceased to exist. They were offered another position which they were technially quite capable of doing but the interest level wasn't there. In the end (after a lot of effort), the decision was the it was time to part company.

I have also experience people who are simply not good at some roles. One such person had great reviews from their line manager for their work in support role. However, this person really struggled with a development role (using similar skills). The wash up for this was that we found a different role for that person and they are doing a great job again.

So, have a think about you co-worker and make sure you discuss the issue with the person in question. Make sure that you keep as much of the emotion and frustration out of it as you can (have you some HR people to help you with this?)

• Thank you for your reply. For ease of the conversation, I'm going to call this co-worker "Alice" from now on.

Underlying problem - Alice is mentally lazy.

Alice came from a hardware-only background and supposively wanted to become a developer. Turns out Alice doesn't know hardware either. (won't go into the detail how I know this)

Outside work - Alice has no spouse, no kids, no hobbies that I am aware of.

technically competent to do the job/overwhelmed - maybe, but I've tried to give Alice ways for her to learn and point her in the right direction and she has not taken any of them.

Extremely talented? The only thing I can see Alice is extremely talented at is removing oxygen from the air around her and consuming calories.

Alice does not listen and will ask a question about something that you just answered. I don't know how many times I have said 'now please listen to me' right after she asked a question.

For arguement's sake and to keep this thread vague, let's just say Alice has a special relationship with the boss. That's not what it is, but for the example's sake, it will serve the same purpose.

Live to Throw
    Throw to Live
    Will Summers

• If that can help, how about the idiot here who just decided to reboot all the servers because 1 SINGLE employee couldn't connect on the network when all the while, 300 of us had no connectivity issue whatsoever?

• Will Summers (8/12/2010)

How does everyone deal with a coworker who's lazy, lacks listening skills, lacks logic skills, lacks technical knowledge, lacks initiative, talks slow, walks slow, can't type and is generally a pain in the ***?

I'm at my wits end on dealing with this person and I'm looking for ways NOT to blow my top.

Are your expectations of everyone else TOO high? Not everyone is a "go-getter", some like to slide by and be average - not that it's necessarily a bad thing. Continue to do your job to the best of your ability and it'll work out in the end. Quit worrying about others - it causes undo stress.

-- You can't be late until you show up.

• You make a very good point.

Live to Throw
    Throw to Live
    Will Summers

• Ninja's_RGR'us (8/13/2010)

If that can help, how about the idiot here who just decided to reboot all the servers because 1 SINGLE employee couldn't connect on the network when all the while, 300 of us had no connectivity issue whatsoever?

Oh ya, did I mention that we have ± 2500 clients connected on the corporate site who now are calling in complaining that they can't order... fun fun fun friday am! :hehe:

• tosscrosby (8/13/2010)

Will Summers (8/12/2010)

How does everyone deal with a coworker who's lazy, lacks listening skills, lacks logic skills, lacks technical knowledge, lacks initiative, talks slow, walks slow, can't type and is generally a pain in the ***?

Are your expectations of everyone else TOO high? Not everyone is a "go-getter", some like to slide by and be average - not that it's necessarily a bad thing. Continue to do your job to the best of your ability and it'll work out in the end. Quit worrying about others - it causes undo stress.

If Alice would raise to average it would be tolerable. I have to work directly with Alice, that's the problem.

Live to Throw
    Throw to Live
    Will Summers

• Document the shortcomings for a period of time (a month?). Present them to your boss/HR if it impacts your work/schedule. If you cannot do your work because of other's, documentation is key.

-- You can't be late until you show up.

• I have asked for this thread to be deleted, so if it disappears and you guys are wondering, that's why. Thanks for all your help.

Live to Throw
    Throw to Live
    Will Summers

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply