Date Concatenation

• Working with an archaic mess of Access dbs, and am trying to convert to a single SQL Server 2005 db.

A couple of places in the original monstrosity I have the time and date in separate columns, like the following example:

[Ticket Date] [Ticket Time]

12/1/99 0845

12/2/01 0932

One problem is the two columns can be of different data types, like a date col and a text time. If anyone knows how to bring these into a single column using SSIS, I would love to know since I have been battling with it for a while.

Thanks in Advance

• I can't believe you've got me working in Access to try this out, but here goes...

I did it by simply converting the data for both columns to a string, then creating a derived column that uses the expression: (DT_DBTIMESTAMP)([Copy of TicketDate] + [Copy of TicketTime])

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• For those who care, that is essentially how I solved this problem.

In SSIS, this means I used a Data Conversion task to convert both, then a Derived Column to combine them, and another Data Conversion to transformt them back into a date.

If anybody knows a better way to do this, please let me know.

• Chris,

you can do all of the data conversions in the derived column component so you only actually need one component rather than three.

-jamie

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply