database testing tools

• I wonder if anyone knows a good testing software that can take profiler's trace data and replay it on a development server, simulating the number of connections -- which is the key?

Thanks!

• Profiler has the ability to do a replay.

Another good tool can be found here.

• Thanks for the info.

My only and biggest concern with replay thru profiler is it not like a true replay because it does not simulate however many connections I have in the trace file. With the stress tools you can specify number of threads, and delays, etc, but they are also not like re-playing what was running on the server the last five minutes, e.g. given the profiler trace file as input.

Hope I was clear enough.

• I've used Profiler. You could even capture separate traces for different users and then replay them from different PCs to simulate loads from different sources.

• Thanks Steve.

If I would run a replay. Which counter should I use to simulate the number of users in production environment, batches/sec in perf mon, or the count of connections from sysprocesses, or the count of non-sleeping processes from sysprocesses? Because they give different numbers. batches/sec averages at about 280, total count from sysprocesses gives about 200 and non-sleeping sysprocesses is about 20.

Thanks a lot!

• what exactely replay means here?

• I would think a replay is like an exact re-doing of what has happened in the time period captured by profiler, with the same connections, same transactions, etc....everything.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply