Database Size after ''archiving''

• Hi all

I have 2 databases, one is the main/live, the other is an archive database (so it is identical but just contains archived data, obviously).

The scripts that archive the data basically does INSERTs into the archive database, and the DELETEs from the main database the rows that were archived.

Now, before archiving my database sizes (looking at space used only) were as follows:

MAIN: 80.5Gb

ARCHIVE: 54.5Gb

And after:

MAIN: 76.9Gb

ARCHIVE: 83.97Gb

Now, how on earth can my main database only decrease by approx 3Gb, but my archive database grew nearly 30Gb?!? Keep in mind we are looking at "space used" here, and this is the space used in the data files (I am ignoring the log file sizes).

Any ideas as to why the huge difference in sizes?

TIA!

• Check whats the size of log file. That might occupy more space than what you have expected.

Cheers,
    Sugeshkumar Rajendran
    SQL Server MVP
    http://sugeshkr.blogspot.com

• Moving data from the main database does not shrink the space reserved for the main database... nor should you shrink it unless this is the very first time you've archived.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Shrinking is bad.

Paul Randal, PM for the storage engine, says you should never shrink the data file unless you think you'll NEVER need the space.

http://blogs.msdn.com/sqlserverstorageengine/archive/2007/03/28/turn-auto-shrink-off.aspx

• Or if you might need that space for other databases...

• As I said, I was only looking at the DATA file; not the log file size.

Anyway, I ran DBCC (via maintainance plan) on my database and it reduced the "space used" amount down to 60Gb (the total size of my datafile is still at 105Gb).

• Krissy,

How big are the hard-drives associated with the datafile?  The other question would be, how many months or years does the current 60 gig of space used represent?  The reason I'm asking is "size doesn't matter" unless you need to grow the database... if the 60 gig (for example), only represents one year of growth, you might want to consider leaving the datafile at 105 gig to prevent long dwell times when it does grow from 60 gig.

If the 60 gig represents 5 years, then you could safely reduce the size of the file to, say, 80 gig using "shrink file".  Just make sure you have a good defrag tool or that your SAN (if you have one) automatically defrags.  You may want to defrag the hard-disk, anyway... most folks erroneously leave the default settings of 1 Mb initial size and a 10% growth rate... that will create 73 "segments" just growing the first gig of space... that's a lot of fragmentation and you can get some pretty good performance gain by defragging the disk.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply