Database login fails to connect to database

• Hello All,

I'm wondering why this seems to randomly happen. Sometimes a database login will fail to connect to a database. I have to drop the login and re-create the login and set it as a db_owner to be able for it work again.

Any ideas, or has this happened with anyone?

Thanks,

S

--
    :hehe:

• have a look at the error log on the server that you are tying to connect to, this should give you the reason for the failure.

• Thanks. Found out that it was state 8 which is a password mis-match.

Im confused as I only dropped and re-added the login at the database level and not at the server level on object explorer.

A password mismatch? Where? Weird. Could this be a bug?

--

• Slick84 (3/15/2010)

A password mismatch?

How ? is somebody resetting it without intimating you ?

-------Bhuvnesh----------
    I work only to learn Sql Server...though my company pays me for getting their stuff done;-)

• Slick84 (3/15/2010)

Thanks. Found out that it was state 8 which is a password mis-match.

Im confused as I only dropped and re-added the login at the database level and not at the server level on object explorer.

A password mismatch? Where? Weird. Could this be a bug?

It does seem strange, I dont think this is a bug as I have not heard it reported before, is this a windows account or SQL account?

• This is a SQL account.

The web app connects to this database using the SQL login. I am thinking the idiot developers have the password specified incorrectly on the app side to the database.

I will wait for this to happen again and make sure what password they have supplied to the web app for it to connect to our DB using that login as right now I have no proof and the developers never take responsibility for their screw-ups.

--

• Bhuvnesh (3/15/2010)

How ? is somebody resetting it without intimating you ?

Thats what I'm thinking. The developer originally notified me that their web app was unable to connect. Once I dropped & re-added the login, the developer told me it was now working.

Though my suspicion is the developer in the background fixed the password supplied by the web app and did not tell me about it. As dropping the login and re-adding it should not fix a password mis-match issue!

I will keep an eye out.

--

• Though my suspicion is the developer in the background fixed the password supplied by the web app and did not tell me about it. As dropping the login and re-adding it should not fix a password mis-match issue!

This sounds correct, most likely the developer couldn't connect got on the phone to yell at the DBA, then decided to look at their code and found the mistake but said nothing..

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply