Database in "suspect" mode (SQL Server Management Studio 2005)

• Henry, Gail's right (as usual) about the necessity for backups, but it seems like you're an accidental DBA. A little background to why what you're doing didn't work.

There are always at least two files to a database. The mdf (data) and ldf (logging). Both of these need to stay in sync. You can't have only one. The next part is you have to consider these files to be always open. Think about sharing an Excel file with everyone, if it helps. Now consider that SQL is much more resitrictive about what you can do when the file's already open and needs to recover when you start mucking about with files that are mid-edit.

What the backup does is create a synced, closed, copy of the database as of a point in time so you can restore it without all those mid-edit problems, and keeps the data clean.

Hopefully that helps a bit.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• It's griping because of the single-user mode.

ALTER DATABASE [BTData] SET MULTI_USER WITH NO_WAIT

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• Craig Farrell (3/19/2011)

It's griping because of the single-user mode.

ALTER DATABASE [BTData] SET MULTI_USER WITH NO_WAIT

Disconnect object explorer before you try running that. The database currently only allows one connection (hence single_user)

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster, you are truly my hero today. I cannot express enough gratitude for your help. If this database is loss, it would be a disaster for me because my home-based business depends on it. Thanks to all of you for contributing to this post.

Lesson learned: always back up data the proper way.

🙂

• henryvuong1000 (3/19/2011)

GilaMonster, you are truly my hero today. I cannot express enough gratitude for your help. If this database is loss, it would be a disaster for me because my home-based business depends on it. Thanks to all of you for contributing to this post.

Lesson learned: always back up data the proper way.

🙂

You're welcome.

Seriously consider either getting one of your staff (if you can) on a SQL admin course, or get someone in to help you out. SQL is capable of backup that will give you 0 data loss in most disasters, but you have to know how and what to set up

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• hi,

why don't you try to attach the DB only using the data file ".mdf" while trying this it asks for creation of new logfile you can select YES and automatically new logfile gets created....

before trying above have a backup(hope you have already) and then detach the db and try attaching

• Rao.V (3/21/2011)

why don't you try to attach the DB only using the data file ".mdf" while trying this it asks for creation of new logfile you can select YES and automatically new logfile gets created....

Not necessarily. The log cannot always be recreated and if it can't, SQL marks the database recovery pending.

Gail Shaw

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply