Database Goes Missing

• Greg Edwards-268690 (10/8/2010)

Brandie Tarvin (10/8/2010)

Oh. Sorry. I'm having a weird Friday.

I have not yet tested File Watcher. I'll check into that as soon as I get a chance. Have you tested it yet?

It was one of the first .Net samples I played with.

So yes - used it before, and No, not specifically for SSAS.

You can monitor any number of events - from access to change and delete.

And as I see it through my rose colored glasses, wtih the multiple ways and people that could cause this problem, a low level file tool is a viable solution. Maybe there is a reason it couldn't be used, but I would hope SQL and a DDL trigger because I am a DBA is it.

The end result may be more important than the method.

But it is Friday, and it is spectacular outside. So I am losing my mind. 😛

Have a great weekend.

Greg E

I've used filewatcher before - it is VERY good with events like this (when the events are sporadic). The base code gets a little funky if you start dropping 1000's of files at a time (it detects the change but the threading runs out of threads so it will "lose" some files), but there are ways to code around it.

So - I'm fairly confident it would capture the event in this case (we're not talking huge loads of events at a time). The main concern I'd have with it is - so what? being outside of SQL Server, I'm not so sure how useful the info will be (it will be able to tell you when it happened, but if this is occurring thorugh a service account, not sure this will help determine who did it, since it will show as originated from the service account). I suppose it's worth trying though.

As to trace - as it stands, SQL is running a default trace 100% of the time, so running it long term isn't a problem per se. You'd have to filter it somewhat so it doesn't kill your performance.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

Viewing post 31 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply