Database Comparison - Dev to Mirror

• Hello All.

Can anybody help me in finding the best answer for the following:

2 databases, 1 dev and 1 mirror (testing server). 4 developers all making column and table additions as necessary to the development database (one development database shared by all).....Once the developer has made the necessary changes and code changes....the code is migrated to test...automatically at the touch of a button....Column changes are bit more complex...as are data changes...sometimes only the new columns will need to be updated..but sometimes some data will also have to be migrated..not to mention tables and stored procedures. In the past, I have used a couple different DTS packages to migrate data, but not column changes....I've always had problems using DTS to keep tables up to date (primary keys, etc)....

Any thoughts, packages to help with this type of scenario?

Thank you.

• In the shops I've worked in, I usually refresh the development database with a backup copy of production. After the refresh the developer would apply any "In progress" changes to the new development database. Your developers are savings their scripts, aren't they....

red-gate.com has some interesting software that will help migrate schema and data changes.

Diane

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply