database collation

• I'm installing shrepoint services 3.0 and ion the install guid they talk about database collation. The collation must be configured for case insentitive, accent sensitive, kana sensitive, and width sensitive. Hopw can I verify that my sql server has these settings and if it does not how can I change the collation? Thanls in advance guys

• Adrain

Right-click on your server in Enterprise Manager and choose Properties.  The server collation appears on the General tab.

John

• To answer the second part of your question, you cannot change the collation of a database server instance, i.e. the system databases.  This is selected when you installed the instance of SQL server and the only way to change it is to rebuild the master database.

You can howerver in SQL 2000 and later set the collation seperately for each user database.  You can also change the collation of a user database by using the "ALTER DATABASE" statement.

S

• Keep in mind that changing the collation of a database changes the default collation for newly-created columns.  It does not change the collation of existing columns.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply