Database Backup Question

• Is database backup via maintenance plan is done sequentially or in parallel? Let's say I have 15 databases in a plan, does it back them up one-by-one or several at once? If the former is true, what if I have two maintenance plans kicking off at the same time? If the latter is true, what controls how many is backed up at a time? Thanks.

• The DBs will back up sequentially within a maintenance plan. A maintenance plan just builds up the needed SQL commands for you and fires them from top to bottom.

• You can run multiple backups in parallel, but you'll want to monitor the system closely to be sure it doesn't badly impact performance.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Man, you guys ROCK! I'm glad I found this forum full of helpful people. Again, thanks. 😀

• We have SQL agent licenses for our backup solution/CommVault. What do you guys think about letting CommVault agent backup SQL versus maintenance plan? I'm leaning towards doing it within SQL but would like to hear the pros and cons from both sides. Thanks.

• Neither. I prefer the granular control you get from writing your own backup methodology.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• I agree with Grant.

😎

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply