Database Backup failure

• Hi Experts,

Please provide your suggestions and advices for the following scenario.

I am having a backup file which is of 400MB, i am restoring the backup file on a Database which was already created and the corresponding data and log files are stored in a drive (E:) which is having nearly 27GB of free space. I tried to restore the backup file on a DB , but it is throwing the following error.

System.Data.SQLClient.Sqlerror: There is in sufficient free space on disk volume 'E:\' to create the database.the database requires 32449167360 additional free bytes, while only 28912656384 bytes are available.

Thanks,

Venu gopal.

Venu Gopal.K
    Software Engineer
    INDIA

• Please use the following command to see the dimensions of the data file and the log file:

use master

restore filelistonly from disk = N'C:\your_path\your_file.bak'

Franco

• run the code provided by franco in the previous post. This would give you an idea of how much space is allocated to the mdf and ldf files. Backup size doesn't include your free space in the database.

Pradeep Singh

• Try the following command to check exact disk space required to restore .bak file (Add up size column) and its physical file names.

RESTORE FILELISTONLY

FROM DISK = 'CompletePath_DBName.bak'

- SAMJI
    If you marry one they will fight with you, If you marry 2 they will fight for you 🙂

• venu

I am having a backup file which is of 400MB

Where the backup came from ?

Check the source database files size (mdf & ldf)

Muthukkumaran Kaliyamoorthy
    https://www.sqlserverblogforum.com/

• Hi Experts,

Thanks a lot for your valuable suggestions. I got the information what i needed from your responses. Very glad to u all.

Venu Gopal.K
    Software Engineer
    INDIA

• venu_ksheerasagaram (11/23/2010)

Hi Experts,

Thanks a lot for your valuable suggestions. I got the information what i needed from your responses. Very glad to u all.

Glad to hear.Can you share it.

Muthukkumaran Kaliyamoorthy
    https://www.sqlserverblogforum.com/

• Below is my explanation,

While creating any DB , there is an option for fixing the default data file size of DB. Here in my case what happens means, the DB backup which with me is default size of 30GB even though the size of data in the DB is 470MB only. So thats the reason , of getting that error.

Resolution: I got the space of >30Gb after resoration i released the total free space to OS by shrinking the Data file.

Venu Gopal.K
    Software Engineer
    INDIA

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply