Database Allocation

• I downloaded and am running the SQLCheck software. Can someone please send me to some information regarding Database Allocation.

Currently, our db says 94% allocated with 6% free (100%). My question is, is there a good way to keep this allocated space within the 75-85% recommended amount automatically or do I have to manually go in and change the amount of space alloacated for each database on that server???

Also, is there a topic ongoing that gives good information about this sql check and the numbers I am viewing (like something that gives some benchmark numbers.)...for example, my server currently has a 541ms Average Latch Wait time, is that good, bad, average.

Thanks

• You can let the db to growth automatically in the db options, but always check for disk space. It is not recomended for production databases.

• What version of SQL Server are you running?

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• I am running server 2000 in a clustered Advanced server environment...plenty of physical disk space..currently, all databases are defaulted to grow automatically by 10 percent......

So, now looking at this sqlcheck...here are the numbers I see:

100% Buffer Cache Hit Ratio

42 user connections

999 Average Latch Wait Time(ms)

94% Database Allocation 6% free

0 Average Lock Wait Time

0 Locks Timeouts/sec

Anybody have any helpful thoughts?

Thank you

Edited by - ivy on 10/28/2002 08:36:50 AM

• I have used SQLCheck once before. The database allocation which I remember is the percentage of data in the file and log. If you want the space to be 75-85% used and 15-25% free then you will not be able to do that without stopping all data being added tot the file. You will never be able to keep at that but you really don't want too. The files empty space should be as minimal as possible for a period of time between maintainence or growths as this takes IO and CPU cycles while doing so. Also, grow so large each time will mean a longer duration than smaller amounts, so unless you run out of space often you are reall wasting resources. Is there a specifc reason 75-85% is recommended?

• I don't have a specific reason except for that is what SQL Check said it should be???

Thanks for the reply.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply