data modeling tool

• Does anyone have a suggestion as to which data modeling application is "the best"?

We are a small shop that wouldn't need a lot of licenses (at the moment), currently we have a lot of different data sources (foxpro, access, sql for the most part).  I'm looking at 1) documenting our current databases, 2) data modeling a SQL database(s) to merge most of our current application.

Any suggestions ASAP would be greatly appreciated.

Like most things, the decision to buy the software has come abruptly.

I did do a search here at SQL Server Central and there were only a few related posts, but not exactly what I'm looking for.

TIA.

-Megan

• ERWIN DATA MODELER by Computer Associates

• I really like ER/Studia from Embarcadero. ERWin is the industry standard, but does some odd things when reverse engineering, etc.

• I agree with Chris on E/R Studio.  I have used Power Designer, Erwin, and E/R Studio, the three that usually make it to the top of any evaluation list.  Of the three, E/R Studio has the best overall feel.  Any of the three are good modeling tools.  I've never been very fond of Erwin's Reporting aesthetics. 

However, in each instance, be prepared to shell out $2500-4000, depending on the bells and whistles.

As an aside, FWIW, I have never been a fan of CA and, for that reason, I have lost interest/faith in Erwin and CA's ability/motivation to support it as other than a cash cow.

• Thanks everybody, for your comments!

I downloaded the trial versions of both ERwin and ERStudio yesterday. 

I agree that ERStudio has a better feel and it is just easier to use in general.  ERStudio has Data Dictionary reports built in that were very helpful and I couldn't find anything comparable with ERwin - I think you can create your own, but the trial version didn't seem to let me get that far.

ERwin did do a better job reverse-engineering a SQL database by giving the columns in each view where ERStudio just gave the name of the view, but then it was my first time using both applications so may be I didn't have comparable settings selected.

Any advice for applications that do UML process modeling?

Thanks again,

-Megan

• Is there a web based tools like this???

Borik

• You should also check out QDesigner by Quest.  http://www.quest.com\qdesigner.  You can purchase the tool alone or in a package with TOAD and Benchmark Factory.  I believe the entire package is cheaper than ERWIN.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply