Data file has been dropped but sql server wont let go

• Isn't that truely a disadvantage that you can not drop a file without restarting sql server? i really do not care what db it goes to, if it has more than one and you should be able to drop delete or what ever without having to restart any service. Microsoft has a good habit about changing things why not changes to benefit the users?

:cool:

"There are no problems! Only solutions that have yet to be discovered!"

• This is specific and unique to tempDB and likely has to do with what uses tempDB and how it's used.

To determine that a TempDB data file can be dropped during normal operation, SQL would have to ensure that no one is using that file. The only practical way to ensure that no one is using a tempDB file would be to completely quiesce the entire instance. That means no running transactions at all, no running statements, no queries whatsoever. Essentially it would have to stop and then block every single user connection on the server.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Perry Whittle (6/8/2011)

Although you have removed the file it cannot be truly dropped until you restart the database, as this is tempdb you must restart the SQL server services (no reboot required)

ok, calm down. My guess is the file wasnt empty, so you will need to restart the SQL Server service

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• GilaMonster

This is specific and unique to tempDB and likely has to do with what uses tempDB and how it's used.

To determine that a TempDB data file can be dropped during normal operation, SQL would have to ensure that no one is using that file. The only practical way to ensure that no one is using a tempDB file would be to completely quiesce the entire instance. That means no running transactions at all, no running statements, no queries whatsoever. Essentially it would have to stop and then block every single user connection on the server.

Yes, I agree, but you still have to admit this is a pain to DBA's!

• Seriously, how often do you have to remove tempDB files?

For me (admittedly I'm not a production DBA, though I work a lot with them) it's 0 times in 6 years.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• GilaMonster

Seriously, how often do you have to remove tempDB files?

For me (admittedly I'm not a production DBA, though I work a lot with them) it's 0 times in 6 years.

That would depend on who your going behind correct? In the moment not many, but I am dealing with a production environment that does not allow for any or much down time. And this Kind of thing is a pain when I have to get a time slot to fix someone's mistake!

• Is your environment clustered? Mirrored? If you have minimal downtime allowance it surely has one of those.

If so, failover. That's maybe a minute or two at most downtime.

Gail Shaw

• GilaMonster (6/8/2011)

it's 0 times in 6 years.

wow, as often as that Gail 🙂

bopeavy (6/8/2011)

And this Kind of thing is a pain when I have to get a time slot to fix someone's mistake!

nobody's perfect, it takes around 20-30 seconds at most in my experience to restart the SQL Server service. Most applications possibly wouldnt even notice the service restart if you were strategic in picking your timings. Do you not have maintenance windows?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Perry

GilaMonster (6/8/2011)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

it's 0 times in 6 years.

wow, as often as that Gail

bopeavy (6/8/2011)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And this Kind of thing is a pain when I have to get a time slot to fix someone's mistake!

nobody's perfect, it takes around 20-30 seconds at most in my experience to restart the SQL Server service. Most applications possibly wouldnt even notice the service restart if you were strategic in picking your timings. Do you not have maintenance windows?

I know it does not take that much time! but I was planning on having Cake and Ice Cream this evening not working! LOL!!:-D

• bopeavy (6/8/2011)

GilaMonster

This is specific and unique to tempDB and likely has to do with what uses tempDB and how it's used.

I've been a DBA for almost 11 years, and I've not run into this particular pain yet.

I can see that it would be nice in certain circumstances, but I would prioritize it quite low as something for Microsoft to fix. They have bigger issues to address first.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• GSquared

bopeavy (6/8/2011)

GilaMonster

I've been a DBA for almost 11 years, and I've not run into this particular pain yet.

I can see that it would be nice in certain circumstances, but I would prioritize it quite low as something for Microsoft to fix. They have bigger issues to address first.

Did you see the post before yours LOL! It is not Oh a real pain speaking but more of an inconvenance!:hehe:

select ' @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@'

select ' @@ @@@@@@@@@@@ @@@@ @@@@@@@@@@@@@@'

select ' @@ @@@@@@@@@@@ @@@@ @@@@@@@@@@@@@@'

select ' @@ @@@@@@@@@@@ @@@@@@@@@@@ @@@@ @@@@@@@@@@@@@@'

select ' @@ @@@@ @@@@ @@@@@'

select ' @@ @@@@ @@@@ @@@@@'

select ' @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@''

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply