Data Consistancey/Corruption Crashing Server?

• Have you ever heard of data corruption or problem with data consistancey crashing an entire server?

Have a database server that keeps going down and users were unable to insert data into the table. There was an entry in the windows alert log about data consistancy. I tried to run the integrity check and the server went down. A backup of the database kicked off and the server went down again. I am restoring the database from a backup and so far so good - besides it being a 30 GB database and taking forever to restore. When the database went down the server team had to unplug and plug the server back in.

Anyone heard of data consistancy causing this type of problem?

UPDATE: I can run DBCC CHECKDB and CHECKCATALOG through query analyzer - but whenever I run the optimization or integrity check job through EM, the server reboots.

• I haven't seen it crash a server. I've seen an application be affected, of course. Did you contact Microsoft? When we had consistency errors, we were able to simply rebuild an index (it did take 1/2 of the day for MS to dig that far down into the problem). HOWEVER, it was also determined that we were having an issue with our drives during writes which was causing the corruption. Is it possible there are hardware issues with you as well, especially if it's crashing?? Be sure infrastructure does some serious checking of event logs and disk monitors and anything else they can think of to see if they can get to the underlying cause of corruption, and particularly the server crashing. Good luck.

-- You can't be late until you show up.

• Thanks. I tried dropping and recreating the maintenance plan and now the integrity checks job works. But optimizations job rebooted the server. 🙁 Off to microsoft.

Never made it to microsoft - a different infrastructure guy found there was a bad memory chip.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply