Cursor repeats row

• I have a Cursor that is repeating the last row it finds. When I run the select statement that the "Declare Cursor For" has I only get 15 rows. But when I run the below statement I get 16 rows with the last one repeated.

Anyone have a suggestion?

Why would the last one repeat?

Seems like the general opionion is to not use Cursors. Anyone have a suggestion as to what I could use in place of this?

Declare @bill_ID int

Declare Bill_Cursor Cursor for

select id from v_View a JOIN t_Table b on a.bill_id = b.Id and entered > '2006-06-01 00:00:00'

open Bill_CURSOR

fetch next from Bill_CURSOR into @Bill_ID

Print @Bill_ID

while @@FETCH_STATUS = 0

begin

Print @Bill_ID

end

close Bill_CURSOR

deallocate BIll_CURSOR

• What are you planning to do with the cursor? the above can be substituted for nothing at all.

* Noel

• Noel,

THanks for the response. I'm generating a list of Bill_IDs that are from the view. With this list I am going to autogenerate invoices and email these customers. I will execute an SP that will create and email the invoice for each Bill_ID that is in that list.

• Your 15th trip throught the while loop gets a row and prints.  Your net loop through doesn't get a row and setus the status, but you print regardless so it looks like you're getting the last row twice.  You need a check for fetch_status befor the print.

And then again, I might be wrong ...
    David Webb

• If the purpose is to send emails and you are planing to use xp_sendmail for that you will need the cursor!

Like David said change the position of your print statement in the While loop

Declare @bill_ID int

Declare Bill_Cursor Cursor for

select id from v_View a JOIN t_Table b on a.bill_id = b.Id and entered > '2006-06-01 00:00:00'

open Bill_CURSOR

-- Print @Bill_ID

while @@FETCH_STATUS = 0

begin

Print @Bill_ID

end

close Bill_CURSOR

deallocate BIll_CURSOR

* Noel

• Removing the first print command and moving the second like you said Noel worked. I'm gonna have to play around with cursors a little more. Thanks all for the responses.

• you can use a table variable

DECLARE @RowCount BIGINT --tracker

DECLARE @RecCount BIGINT --record counter

Declare @bill_ID bigint

DECLARE @tbl TABLE

(

[ref] [BIGINT] IDENTITY (1, 1) PRIMARY KEY NOT NULL

, bill_ID [BIGINT] NOT NULL

)

Insert into @tbl

--get count of records

select @RecCount = count(*)

from @tbl

SELECT @RowCount = 0

WHILE @RowCount <= @RecCount

BEGIN

SELECT@bill_ID = bill_ID

FROM@tbl

WHEREref = @RowCount

Print str(@Bill_ID)

SELECT@RowCount = @RowCount + 1

END

Everything you can imagine is real.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply